Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I "stole" a 116B

n9vu Wrote:Want to trade that console you've been wanting out of my garage? EMAIL me when you get a chance, OK?

OK so maybe that was a bad idea. Sorry. Take care.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Sorry Gary,

I completely forgot to e-mail you...check your inbox.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Here's a quick "after" shot of the same 116B.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum/116aft.jpg]

One unfortunate occurrence...I masked off the front panel with "low-tack" masking tape and newspaper to spray the new Extra Dark Walnut toner on the top, sides and trim. When I removed the newspaper and tape...the "low-tack" tape removed part of the original decal! Icon_evil Icon_redface Icon_sad

So, the decal that is on there now is a repro.

The grille cloth is original, and is in excellent shape.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Very nice Ron.

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

Thanks. It's not a professional job, but it looks much better than it did when I acquired it.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

And that's the whole point Icon_wink

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

Hi Ron, that's really neat!

What lacquer products did you use on this set?

Philcobenz

First, I scraped off the remaining dark toner from the cabinet (and there wasn't much left; mostly on the trim as nearly all of it was gone from the top and sides).

Then, I sealed the cabinet with Zinsser spray shellac, in case any silicone or other surprises might be lurking in the trim, or on the top and/or sides.

I used Behlens Extra Dark Walnut from Woodcraft on the sides, top and trim. I tried to only spray enough Extra Dark Walnut to achieve the desired color while allowing a bit of the woodgrain to show on the sides and top. The end result is just slightly darker than I really wanted, but not bad, really.

I then used a combination of Deft clear high gloss (for the initial clear coats) and Deft clear semi-gloss (for the final two coats).

The front panel was not touched save for a very light sanding to allow the new clear Deft lacquer to adhere better; and, of course, the PHILCO decal which I had to replace thanks to alleged "low-tack" masking tape.

In the photo above, you can just see the left edge of my 650B at far right, and you can tell my 116B's trim is lighter. Van Dyke Brown was used on my 650B; I like the look of the Extra Dark Walnut better, as it looks more authentic. Extra Dark Walnut has a hint of red to it, while Van Dyke Brown has a greenish tint.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron,

Your 116B looks very nice, a great job. BTW, just for future reference, I have tried the green tape, the blue tape and the purple tape. Of the three, I have found that the purple tape manufactured as 'Duck' brand and called 'Perfect Release' has the least tack and is least harmful to lacquer finishes. You can find it at your local Walmart store, although I'm sure other stores carry it too.

Ed

Thanks for the finishing info, Ron. Your 116B is gorgeous IMHO. Have you an image of the back and innards? Icon_smile

Ed - thank you, and thanks also for the recommendation of the purple tape. I will definitely try it. (I was using the blue tape.) Unfortunately, our warm weather is coming to and end at the end of this week, so it may be next year before I get to do so.

Philcobenz - thank you also. No, I have not yet photographed the back and chassis; the chassis is as yet unrestored. Probably an over-the-winter project, depending on the restoration workload for my clients.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN