Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-246

And John (Eliot), thank you...you don't know how much I appreciate that...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you too, Joe. Yes, I did restuff the bakelite block with two new .01 uF X1/Y2 safety caps.

I will replace the AC cord later on, probably whenever I fix the pushbutton off-on switch. At that time I will install some sort of strain relief for the cord also.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I found the escutcheon and dial scale. Man, is this escutcheon warped. I made a scan of the dial glass *just in case* since I see Radio Daze does not sell it. If I don't forget, I'll make the scan available later on, after I've had a chance to clean it up a bit.

But anyway...I can't seem to find the loop antenna. Now I'm wondering if it was missing when I bought the set, and I'm beginning to suspect it was. I've had it for a few years, refinished the cabinet last year before we moved.

So...

I was listening to the set this afternoon when it suddenly stopped playing! All of the tubes and dial lamps remained lit, but no sound...nothing.

Out came the DMM. I started measuring at the cathode of the rectifier tube. -1 volt! Icon_eek I measured the input AC voltage; yep, it was there. I pulled out the tube tester again and retested the 7Y4. Sure enough, it had died the death. And I have no spare 7Y4 tubes.

So...I borrowed one from my 41-230. That brought the 246 back to life.

Mike (Morzh), you will be glad to know that I aligned the IF transformers using the Sencore AM/FM signal generator (set to 455 kc with modulation), and it worked like a champ. I also tried out the AM signal generator function of the Sencore just for fun. Ditto. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

This is a photo of a 41-245T. The 41-246T is identical in appearance, only the two SW bands are different:

[Image: http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/images/1...age_00.jpg]

This style of escutcheon, being made of Tenite, is prone to shrinkage/warpage.

There is a Canadian version of the 41-245, in Canada it is model 34.

[Image: http://philcoradio.com/images/phorum/34t.jpg]

I think some of those had wooden escutcheons? I remember seeing one on eBay that had a wooden escutcheon. Now that would be just the thing to finish off my 41-246 (besides a loop antenna, of course).

Maybe I can persuade Steve, or Kirk, to make one out of wood for me once I get back to work. Actually, I need two; one for the 41-246 and one for my Tropic 42-720T.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron

As we say in Russian, half a year hasn't even passed Icon_lol Mazltov! I thought you'd never pull it out.
Glad indeed it wurkt.
As I read about those, broken shaft is a very common problem, familiar to many.

Ron
I know this post is old, but hoping you see this. Just picked up one of these same radios (41-246) over the weekend for $35.00. The previous owner cut the wires to the Push-button On-Off switch as well, and used an On-Off tone control just like you mention in this post. You mention that you know how to fix the original. Any chance you could elaborate?
Bob

Attached Files Image(s)

Look here:

https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=14923

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Nice, Thank you for that link. I'm going to check Lowes this weekend. The on-off on the Tone control is probably a better design, but like most, I'd like to keep it as original as possible.

Question, a previous owner replaced the speaker with a PM speaker, and added a high wattage resistor of the same value in place of the Field Coil.  I think I've read that this can be done somewhere, but was wondering if it's considered "Electrically sound" long term.

Bob