Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Resistor values question

Do you have a meter? Can you buzz it to the switch?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I am on my phone so can't add pic. Radios is working well now. Only thing is that when I hook up the antenna to the cabinet I get no reception? If I remove it and hold the antenna wire, I get recption. The cabinet is supposed to be the antenna so I don't know what is going on.

Any ideas?

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Hi Kirk
No don't think the case is connected to the ant. But the ant does connect to a 250mmfd mica capacitor. It will be about 3/4" square and have 3 colored dots, red,(=2) green(=5) and brown (=1 zero) 250.  Hope this helps.
Looking forward to seeing you in May
Terry
ps. your off/on switch might be in the coin box you don't have. Perhaps that's why you can't find it.

Common can negative means that the 3 filter condensers have - side connected together. Now on sets without a power transformer AC/DC sets. Sets with a voltage doubler (will only work properly with AC input to the power supply) and sets with a phono motor are not truly AC/DC sets.
One side of the AC line is connected the plate of the rectifier tube like a 35Z5, 35Y5, and 35W4. The other side the AC line is B- or where the - side of the filters would connect.
Now there is a problem if you connect B- to the chassis then you create a shock hazard. One side of the AC connected to the chassis could put 110vac between the radio chassis or the radio's metal cabinet and any thing that is grounded. So what they did is they took all of the parts that needed to be at B- and connected them together but NOT to the chassis. This creates a - buss. This is why your filter condensers - don't connect to the chassis.
Clear as mud right????
Terry

Ok,
My radio is 100% complete with the mech. The coin mech is its own switch where by putting in the quarter closes the switch giving power to the chassis. There is also a on/off volume pot on the chassis. I grounded all the negatives to the can since that is what was done originally and with these Tradios there was no antenna. There is a short wire with a washer on the other end that gets screwed right to the metal cabinet. All of the others I have worked on have this also.
I am thinking that maybe something is touching somewhere under the chassis. I just cant understand why this radio had good reception being attached to the cabinet before I re-capped it but now it doesnt???

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

It'll be good to see you too Terry

As of 1/01/2021

Well I figured it out. The chassis was grounding to the cabinet so I put in a few rubber washers and now she is working good!!

This is for my uncle so I'm glad it won't explode Icon_lol

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

I take it then your uncle is not rich....Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I have a red red brown resistor. It tests at 3.7 when the meter is on 200 ohm, the new resister doesn't even test on 200 ohm but it tests 2.2 when the meter is on 2k. They are the same color code so what am I doing wrong? Is the resistor just dead?

Thanks
Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Try a control sample, a known good resistor of the same value bought recently. See how it behaves during test.

Oops it is red red brown. The second one is new.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

This just exploded so I  need to replace it. Is it a 100 mmfd cap? Meaning .0001?

Kirk

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Looks like it's 2 o ooo @3oov But some of those postage stamp cap are screwy to decode.
I left my little oarfin Annie decoder ring at work today

So Kirk I'm getting a little peeved will you! YOU HAVEN'T INVITED ME UP TO YOUR NEW PLACE!
I mean I was thinking you could put out your 50 worst chassis and we could knock them out in a few hours
But no invitey no fixy Beside I have something warm and fuzzy for you.
Terry
ps The problem with measuring the 220 ohm resistor is when you set your meter for 200 ohms it can't
measure any thing above 200 ohms. When you set your meter for the next higher range it can measure it.

So it is .0002?

You are welcome any time and you know it.

I figured I would wait on having guests until I actually live there.

I had the meter on the higher setting for both tests.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

What did this cap come out of ?  Is there a schematic  online for it?? Just want to double check to be sure.
Shoot an email at: tbs50a@aol.com Busy this weekend next is open.
Terry

I believe this is it. line up matches.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...021845.pdf

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021