Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Beam of Light

nice edisla Icon_clap Icon_thumbup

or you could try local hardware store

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Thanks all.. I will go to hardware store and see what I can find...

Thanks again..

Skip..

When putting it back together be sure and position the motor drive against the side of the other drive roller as edisla mentioned. It wil probably work then. Good luck.

Both of you have changers that have the "modified" motor and drive wheel kit installed. The original motor has a different motor and a "bell" drive wheel that turns the platen. Turbine oil lubrication after cleaning the motor with 'Brake Kleen" works great to get it going again assuming the bearings are good. Rebuilding the wheel should be fairly easy to have done with any of the rebuilders mentioned on this site. The big challenge on those changers is the photo cell area , but once they work right, they are really good sounding systems and nice to look at when it lights up. Best of Luck.

Questions about the BoL setup

- Is the new motor a Philco part?

- I assume the tech had some paperwork and a kit when he would do the work, is there paperwork on this mod?

- The cabinet light switch, is that supposed to be triggered when the door opens?
- Mine did not and thought maybe that part was taken out. That or its just to be switched manually.

All, I was able to find some Rubber Grommets I had in stock. Here is picture of them installed.

[Image: http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm38/...tk6eic.jpg]

The turntable now works and will play a record. But I think the record I put on it was a 33 1/3 . Not a 78.

Turntable was turning to fast .. I assume the only speed for this turntable is 78 Rpm.. But probably OK for a 78 Rpm record. I will see if I can find one...

Skip..

Whatever works

not preferred method Icon_eh   but works for you that's what matters Icon_thumbup
sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Yup, I agree.. But for now it works. I will see if I can find something better.. But had grommets so I thought I would try to see if it works..

Skip...

skip
long as it works
did you clean and lube bearings ?
find a 78 rpm record don`t use a vinyl album
cheap on ebay or a record store if you can find one
sam

mafiamen2

Yup, Cleaned and Lubed. I had a old record I didn't care about to try.. Like I said it worked but turning to fast. I will get a 78 and try..

Thanks

SKip...

Well was able to find some 78 records my parents had. Tried them and it worked. Didn't sound all that bad.

However Of course there are more problems.. Seems that I am missing the bracket that goes from motor to the speed control switch. and also the neon light that allows you to adjust the speed. and who knows what else. I will take pictures of underside of phono.. Hope there are not to many other things missing. I probably cannot find the items I need. So maybe someone can tell me how to adjust speed without the parts .. If I knew of this forum I probably would not have bought the radio.. Now I know why it was only 65.00 Dollars..

Skip...

I'm thinking all those missing parts is part of the modification.

All the same is missing from mine.

The speed adjust just dangles down under there.

Speed seems fine on the crap records I have. I assume the new motor is just good enough to pass for the one speed.

Ok, Maybe that's the case. Maybe someone can tell us if that is what we have.

Thanks
Skip...

(05-29-2015, 04:24 PM)vecher Wrote:  [quote pid='90983' dateline='1432934672']
...If I knew of this forum I probably would not have bought the radio.. Now I know why it was only 65.00 Dollars.. 

Skip...
[/quote]

Thats the fun of old radios. Fixing them back to working or original condition. You wont find many that wont take some fixing up. Icon_e_surprised