Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco tropic model 42-760

I plugged it in and got the green light in the magic eye

Well that tells us that the p/s hasn't failed yet and looks like all of the smaller caps are ceramic so they don't need replacement. Now you just need to get a sg.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I am looking for a sg but they are hard to find in my area any suggestions on a good model

I'd suggest putting an ad in the Wanted Ads section to see if anyone on here might have one they want to get rid of.  I just sold my EICO 324 a couple months ago unfortunately.    

You can also keep and eye out for one on EBAY.  Of course all the cautions about EBAY buying for radios also hold for signal generators, i.e., "its working" probably means the pilot lamp came on, and they usually need recapping if someone hasn't already done it.

I have a Heathkit IG-102 that gets the job done and a Lafayette KT-208 Generator/Tracer.  What you need is a generator that provides an RF signal and which will also allow you to modulate that signal with an audio signal.  

Others with more experience will surely have opinions on good models to be on the look out for.

thanks I have a stupid question is this site only for philco related radios and products

(11-14-2016, 04:17 AM)the picker Wrote:  thanks I have a stupid question is this site only for philco related radios and products

No not necessarily there is a section called other radios that would be for non Philco types. If you where unsure about where your question or comment fits in just go ahead and post it and the moderators will move it if it fits in a different section better.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

thanks so much you have been a great help Terry

(11-14-2016, 04:26 PM)the picker Wrote:  thanks so much you have been a great help Terry

Your welcome. Glad to help out.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

is eico model 322 signal generator a good one

(11-15-2016, 06:49 PM)the picker Wrote:  is eico model 322 signal generator a good one

If the price right it's ok. It's pretty basic, similar to the heath SG-6,7,and,8. Can only calibrate it on one band (only one adj trimmer). Wouldn't pay much $25 tops w/cables.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

thanks then I will not be interested in that one because I would like to invest in a good one

is a Hickok crystal model 288 a good one

Manual can be found here   http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/hickok/288x/

Better than the previous mentioned units and can be used for FM alignment. Not really xtal controlled it has a xtal controlled marker oscillator for checking receiver calibration every 100 or 1000kc. They don't seem to bring much on ebay so it might be a good deal for you. Oh just so you know NONE of this stuff is a good investment!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I found it on kijji and the guy said I could have it for the shipping cost which should be about 30 cad

when I get a signal generator I will get back at the radio