Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco tropic model 42-760

(11-08-2016, 04:01 AM)the picker Wrote:  I looked at the radio and if I connect the 15 uf to the positive side of 40 uf cap I have 4 wires left 1 the green speaker wire ;2 the one that goes to resistor 77 and on to the power transformer; 3 another wire that goes to what looks like a small power transformer in the middle of the chassis ;and 4 a red wire that goes to a terminal lug that has a brown green orange resistor attached and red wire that goes to the if transformer and a wire that goes to the power transformer in the middle of the chassis

< 1 the green speaker wire
The schematic doesn't indicate the wire color, but measure the resistance from it to chassis and if it is about 800 ohms connect it to the - side of the 15uf cap.

<2 the one that goes to resistor 77 and on to the power transformer
connect it to the - side of the 15uf cap.
<3 another wire that goes to what looks like a small power transformer in the middle of the chassis
Don't know I can't see it from here. Take a pic of this sm pt top and bottom and we'll figure it out.
<4 a red wire that goes to a terminal lug that has a brown green orange resistor
http://www.camradio.net/resistors.html   
Looks to be #16 15,000 ohm resistor @2w. It connects to the
+ side of either the 15 or 40 uf cap, it's the same connection.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

(11-08-2016, 07:22 AM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  
(11-08-2016, 04:01 AM)the picker Wrote:  I looked at the radio and if I connect the 15 uf to the positive side of 40 uf cap I have 4 wires left 1 the green speaker wire ;2 the one that goes to resistor 77 and on to the power transformer; 3 another wire that goes to what looks like a small power transformer in the middle of the chassis ;and 4 a red wire that goes to a terminal lug that has a brown green orange resistor attached and red wire that goes to the if transformer and a wire that goes to the power transformer in the middle of the chassis

The schematic doesn't indicate the wire color, but measure the resistance from it to chassis and if it is about 800 ohms connect it to the - side of the 15uf cap.

<3 another wire that goes to what looks like a small power transformer in the middle of the chassis
Don't know I can't see it from here. Take a pic of this sm pt top and bottom and we'll figure it out.
<4 a red wire that goes to a terminal lug that has a brown green orange resistor

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-08-2016, 03:54 PM)the picker Wrote:  
(11-08-2016, 07:22 AM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  

Attached Files Image(s)

the wire with the white clip on is the wire it goes through one of the two small holes that goes to this unit I am talking about thanks

I also checked the speaker it has 186 ohms from wire to chassis ground with the speaker plugged in

Well I can't find your little transformer anywhere on the schematic, parts list or chassis diagram. It looks like a choke which would be connected in the p/s but not sure where. Maybe a service bulletin on it depending on the chassis run number. Ron or Chuck may have some insight on this issue.

As for you wire that is connected to the spkr measure the resistance from it to pin 2 of either of the 42 tubes. Show pic of where this wire is and is connected at the spkr.

The wire w/the clip looks to be the hv feed for the second IF transformer. Should be a white sez the schematic. Measure the resistance from it to pin 2 of the 7A7 tube. If it is the hv lead it will show a low resistance like 20 ohms or so. If it is then it connects to the + side of the 47uf cap.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_7a7.html

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

the speaker wire to pin 2 of tube 42 has 0 ohm and the wire with the clip to pin 2 of 7a7 tube has 17.6 k ohms and the wire goes to the speaker plug which has two pins close together and the green wire is opposite that

(11-08-2016, 06:38 PM)the picker Wrote:  the speaker wire to pin 2 of tube 42 has 0 ohm and the wire with the clip to pin 2 of 7a7 tube has 17.6 k ohms and the wire goes to the speaker plug which has two pins close together and the green wire is opposite that

>the speaker wire to pin 2 of tube 42 has 0 ohm
Do you mean to say it is a dead short (0 ohms) or it is open (infinity ohms)???

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

all it sail on my meter is OL and never read any ohms at all

(11-08-2016, 06:50 PM)the picker Wrote:  all it sail on my meter is OL and never read any ohms at all

Ok if you connect the two probes together what does is show??

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

when you connect the two probes it goes to 00.1 ohms

I just checked my meters manual and it says ol means the input value is too high for the selected range

Correct OL means open load no resistance across the probes at whatever range you have it set for unless it's autorangning. 0 ohms implies a short.

Are you up on how to count the pins on the base of tubes???
http://www.jollinger.com/radio/tubes/tube_basing.html

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

yes I know how to count pins I always check my site that I have book marked if I am uncertain but thanks your site looks better

Ok let me take another stab at it. That wire w/ the white clip lead on it looked like it was coming out of the 2nd IF transformer but now i see it's coming next to the IF transformer. So it looks like there are 3 or 4 coming out of the black transformer. Would these wires be connected to pins 2 and or 3 of the 42 tubes???

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry