Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RCA 110K2 Unexpected project

The first coat of oil dried up, leaving dull patches where it had coated bare wood. On Wednesday morning I found time to pass gently over the right side of the cabinet with 0000 wire wool, and rub in another coat of tung oil. Looking again this morning, it appears this approach is working nicely, a deep color and good finish is beginning to develop.

I have refinished a number of pieces of furniture this way, including our "Danish Modern" coffee table. This had been very neglected before we got to it, but (a lot of) TLC returned it to glory.

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

OK, here are a couple of hasty garage shots of the cabinet after a little more refinishing attention today. Coming along nicely, I think:

Nice Job! I have a 110k console sitting waiting for the chassic to come back to me. A friend is going through it. I do not have the know how of replacing the caps and such. My radio cabinet looks nothing like brand new but its good enough. Hope they both work great when done.  Icon_thumbup

More picture later. I declared satisfaction with the cabinet, and refitted the chassis, grillecloth, speaker etc.

Done!

And here she is:

I went downstairs this morning to take a picture, and discovered two things. One, the preset buttons were acting lazy, calling for a little lubrication. Second, a casual glance revealed the dial glass was in backwards! All corrected now, and it plays nicely:

Looks great Ed  Icon_thumbup

Did you mention that you used Tung oil to touch up the finish?

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Thanks Elliot

Yes, Tung oil. It seems to work best applied quite sparingly in several sessions. Allow a few days in between rub-downs. I don't know if it works with grain filling products, but I have applied it over fillers (furniture repair and refinishing) with good results.

Cheers,

Ed