Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

noise on radio during the day **SOLVED**

That's great but will the LDC do anything for florescent light buzz (which is what I'm experiencing)?

If you can somehow defeat the internal antenna loop and use an external shielded access to a rooftop antenna, and somehow morph the "static" from dimmers, etc... on your AC line, I'm afraid A.M. Radio is pretty much an antique of its own. I guess the remaining stations will have to go on line or perish. Hey, I'm an optimist!

I guess I am fortunate, I get plenty of local stations, not too much interference in the Day. Nighttime I get to DX a bit.

Paul

Tubetalk1

(05-10-2018, 07:02 PM)Ed Locker Wrote:  That's great but will the LDC do anything for florescent light buzz (which is what I'm experiencing)?

Not all florescent light fixtures are equal. Higher quality ones (with a conventional ballast) CAN make much less noise than the cheap ones. I have some of each.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

took what i thought would be a quick vid of one radio through all bands,,, not as much as during the week but still a bunch to listen to.
i am using a single wire randomly drawn outside off terminal 1, terminal 2 and 3 are straped. the outside case is electrically isolated from the interior chassis. I noticed as suggested here that if i jumper the outside case to the inside chassis,,, i seem to pick up more clairity of further away stations,, so,,,, thats what i am doing now.

i didnt hear too many ham's on during this vid like during the week.

this is an example of acceptable noise levels.

i will post another vid of whats happening during the sunshine hours.

again,, one roof line faces East North east,,, the other roof line faces West south west.

then,, around 12min and a few seconds,, my killer cat attacks me!

this is drop box,, everyone should be able to view,, atleast thats the way its supposed to work.

i had no idea how greasy my hand was,, lol, restoring an 87 merc cougar for my youngest son

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0f99a03axgv5o...9.mp4?dl=0

I've switched almost all of the lights in the house to LED's, so I got rid of *most* of the RF noise. No more florescents! Only three dimmers and I'm going to try finding the lamp debuzzing coils as suggested above. Icon_smile Also, one set of halogen puck lamps to decide what to do with... I'm fortunate to live on a farm, so almost all RF noise is of my own making.

this is solved................................

Me- in the garage
wife- turns on the hot water for a shower

me- i hear a buncha static on the radio but its evening and the SUN is almost down.............
I run upstairs and holler,, "hey you,, what did you just turn on?"
wife- nothing,,  i just now got in the shower. 

later on..........
wife comes out to the garage and says  "can you come look at the the thermostat in the bathroom,, sometimes it buzz's and i have to hit it to make it stop.

me-  im like really, how long has this been happening?  and why havent i noticed........

wife- i guess now a couple years,,  dono,, maybe more , it does this once in a while though and i think its been doing it for a long time.

me- why didnt you say something
her- i did a long time ago, your so busy,, 

sure enough the buzz is happening when i get to the bathroom and i give it a bash and it stops.

i go out to the garage and like magic,, no noise static on the radio.

earlier in this post i was trying to pinpoint the problem and it came and went.

The wife takes showers,,, me i relax and take a bath.

we all know that a shower will steam up the room for most of us and i am thinking that moisture was bringing the tstat into the game of causing partial contact or something.  ,,, backfeeding something that was making my tunes sound like crap.

This tstat actually is very different from most,, it takes 220v in and 220v out directly in behind it,, there is no low voltage 24v or whatever,,, it hard makes/breaks the 220v feed to our baseboard heaters.  We dont even use the heaters due to our wood heat situation.

so,,, i killed power to the heater in this bathroom and other baseboard heaters.

this was a fault of a TSTAT, not the sun.
however,, when the sun is coming up and going down i do have a tad smidge of static that i can tolerate and i find normal ,, as in when evening comes around all our far away stations start coming in really good.

hope this helps someone.

pic of the tstat

Attached Files Image(s)

Yes the older thermostats that control baseboards or simple heaters are 220V on-off power switches.
Change it ASAP, if it buzzes, it is likely an arc and a fire hazard.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Great to see you have answered the mystery at last!

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Yes. Thermostats- Even electric stove thermostats- will sometimes interfere. Couldn't figure out some popping noises on the 38-1 when I first got it running. EVERY electrical device in the building seemed to affect it. (Even when the neighbors would open or shut their metal front outer door, I could hear a definite "pop" over the speaker) But the stove was obvious, as it's virtually in the same room as the radio, and  I could hear the pops on the radio simultaneously as the audible "clicks" of the t'stat on the stove (and a/c 'stat, too) were heard. Thus, the looping and grounding of the antenna to the chassis. That stopped most all of the noise generated from everyones' electrical devices in the building. Glad you figured it out!  Icon_thumbup