Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

noise on radio during the day **SOLVED**

Sometimes there are issues on power lines with leaking insulators that can cause noise in damp periods such as overnight dew, but that usually declines rapidly when the sun comes up... Also should give fits when rainy...

You may want to track the relation to dew point & temp...

Tom

For safety I would put a ground on aa5 radio some of them have a one side of the power line grounded depending on witch way it is plugged in it might have 120 volts on it.

That should have said I would not put a ground on a aa5

answering the Grounding suggestion.

on my antenna, screw terminal 1 is electricaly bonded to the chassis.
the instructions say if you run a random wire like i am, the install the shorting bar from terminal 1 to terminal 2, this has been done since purchase.

the outside case is supposed to be isolated and not electrified.

but........... i did tinkier with the suggested idea.
i jumpered terminal 1 to the outside case.
noise was still present yesterday on sunny conditions but D**n!!! i sure got a boost out of some of those futher away country signals for some odd reason.

I even replaced the isolator feet with something better even though my old isolator feet were showing me that my inside chassis to exterior case had 25MG ohms,,, meaning they were ok but i i was shooting for zero, which is what i read now that i did a repair and no ground jumper installed.

The power chord is poloarized, a fuse installed, and filter caps and all other caps upgraded a while back.
I am running a Ford Motor Company 4'' x 6'' speaker inside for a second year now. its purdy darn big but fits and sounds really good, plus it is 3.5 ohms matching the orginal speaker so............ its fine.

so to the noise,,,,,,

today on 23april2018 at 10am i check the noise, there is none.
why? at this moment i am at 50degF ,,, 72% humidity and fully cloaked in cloud cover.

whats missing? that cures the issue?

the sun?

if i recall last year i was having issues but it seemed to go away on its own over a long period of time.

what changes over a long period of time would be the angle of the sun i guess.

I am starting to think that just passing my antenna over my metal roof might be the problem, but im no expert.

one expert here did tell me this might be an issue (terry), he's probably right.

(04-21-2018, 08:38 AM)35Z5 Wrote:  Sometimes there are issues on power lines with leaking insulators that can cause noise in damp periods such as overnight dew, but that usually declines rapidly when the sun comes up... Also should give fits when rainy...

You may want to track the relation to dew point & temp...

will check tom, and to the dew, i cant help much of that with a random wire i guess.

Ah, but the Beverage may be the answer, perhaps then? I'd be right on top of that one!   Icon_smile

i dont have enough "straight" or level surface land to do it the right way.

i have 1000' in length of land but no more than 200 or so feet at any given point is on the same plane.

Certainly leaky insulators on the power line can cause this... The power pole holding our transformer is occasionally a problem. I know this to be true because one day, for some reason I happened to be outside with a small portable SW receiver. I could make the interference cut in and out by wobbling the guy wire. It comes and goes with damp weather, warm and cold etc, but is quite uncommon so I dont worry about it.

If your interference has a 60/ 120 Hz splashy or white noise quality, this could be the issue.

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

ok,,
24apr2018 0743 am,,

its raining outside

no noise

no sun

zip code 24941

Have you tried walking around with an AM portable, with a telescopic antenna if possible (can add directionality and can be used for attenuation of strong signals)?

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

(04-24-2018, 09:03 AM)Phlogiston Wrote:  Have you tried walking around with an AM portable, with a telescopic antenna if possible (can add directionality and can be used for attenuation of strong signals)?

you've lost me.... not hard to do by the way

no noise again today, nearly all day cloud cover till late this eve

(04-24-2018, 12:11 PM)jcassity Wrote:  
(04-24-2018, 09:03 AM)Phlogiston Wrote:  Have you tried walking around with an AM portable, with a telescopic antenna if possible (can add directionality and can be used for attenuation of strong signals)?

you've lost me.... not hard to do by the way

Well, you are trying to locate the source. If you walk around with a receiver the noise should get louder as you get close to it. Also used to eliminate possible sources - unplug suspected device - noise stops, great - if not move on.

An adjustable antenna will help to attenuate if very loud/strong - Like, IT"S JUST EVERYWHERE! (it isn't).

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Would anyone around you, have recently installed a solar panel set-up?

brad,
no solar

Phlogiston~ thanks, i get it now.

update today, sun came up, some cloud cover but for the most part, mostly sunny.

NO NOISE!!!

we did nothing different today,,, this is very odd.