Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stromberg Carlson AWP-8

Paul

I put all the pics on the 1st and 2nd pages, and after the alignment and having been put back the radio doesn't look any different than before, so I thought I didn't need to add any more pics.

I just need to find the properly fitting bolts to hold the chassis and that will be it. It sounds fine, and with the battery will sound even better. It kept that old barn smell which is even more strange after me looking inside and seeing very clean wood with no mold or pee spots, or mouse poop in it. I decided to leave it be, maybe in a larger space it will dissipate, as it has some compared to when I just had bought it.

Now I might think of the next project.
It is slower in the winter as it is cold in the workshop and it stops being as inviting as it is during summer or fall. But I usually go through a small radio or two during the cold season.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Final touch: 8-24 3/4" screws was what seemed to go in OK and now the chassis is being held like it should, I even think these two small brass screws in front of the regulator panel cover may now go away. No use for them now.

El Fin.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Putting the battery proved a bit of a problem.

The Stromberg Carlson AWP-8 uses the same battery as any tube Zenith TO.
But somehow when the battery is fully in, the plug is sticking out about 1/4" from it and the back when closed presses at it squishing wires that come out of the plug flat against it. It is right where the manual bag is attached, and the only way the back closes (squishing the wires, and barely holding at the pins) is when the manual is out. With the manual in it just won't close.
It's possible the AWP-8 plug is a bit longer. I don't have any way of knowing if it is the original plug.

I posted a question on ARF plus wrote to Ed Morris.

PS. Yes the plug is about twice as long as the Zenith TO one.
PPS. I could not pkug the AC plug into the slots to enable the battery, as the plug is likely not original and is polarized. So I broke out my dremel and ground the wide prong; now it's ok.