Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stromberg Carlson AWP-8

I found an add for your radio on Pinterest. Did not copy to it because not sure about copy rights.
Any how it was listed in the ad as $179.95

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/stromberg-carlson/awp-8

Above I found a very nice quality manual on BAMA.

Mike,

But this is probably what it is being sold for now?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

No the add was a magazine advertisement for the radio when new.

So I guessed close enough.
Well, with metal chassis, steel cover etc it had to be more expensive.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Using an online calculator, it was the equivalent of around $1600 in today's money. Expensive toy!

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

They were all expensive.
Zenith 1000Z - $750 in 1935. $14,000 today.

Philco 20 console, $70 in 1930 -- $1,107 today.
Zenith TO 7G605 , $75 n 194# -- $1,205 today.

Very nice radio Mike, I like the green color too.  And yes, most of the shortwave portables were expensive.  I remember looking through a 1958 National Geographic magazine at an antique mall and in 1958 a Zenith Royal 1000 (their first solid state transoceanic) sold for $250.00!  My weekly allowance back in '58 was something like 25 cents a week, so it took 30+ odd years before I could afford one.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John,

Back in 58.....I wasn't even born yet Icon_smile But my weekly allowance in 1970+ was......about the same, a rouble a week. That could buy me one cookie a day in my school's buffet.

And a portable all-wave radio like VEF was also expensive.
This (VEF-Spidola), the first Soviet All-wave portable, was 73 roubles with average monthly pay rate across the USSR being 84 roubles.
In 1960.

I was able to desolder the quad section twist-lock yesterday.
The sections are 40-40-40-60uF and measure at 60-60-60-80uF.
I am tempted to re-form it instead of re-stuffing. I would buy one but no one, it seems, makes this or close in 1-1/2" body; I see one 4x40uF in 1-3/8" but am not sure it will fit.

The two tubular axials, 10uF-100V and 200uF-10V will be replaced by Sprague Atom types.
All resistors are right there, exactly according to their values, I guess the resistors technology improved in 1950-s.
The bumble-bee caps are off, there are 4 of them, all 47nF, some being 60nF and some - 330nF which means leakage. I won't sweat this and will simply install Illinois capacitors sunny side up Icon_smile - without restuffing anything.

PS. When they show a twistlock dimensions: what part of it the dimensions are shown of? The bottom, wider part, or the cylinder itself? With or without cardboard jacketing if present?
PPS. OK, found in Tubeand more: the 1-3/8 is probably the cylinder, because it says

Diameter 1.375 in.
Bottom Diameter 1.46 in.

So the bottom is wider than the declared diameter. So maybe it will fit.

I am reforming the cap. I connected the leads in two pairs and put 145V via 47k resistor to each one. The current over two hours dropped from 1mA for a pair to 40/60uA respectively, whch is (divide by two per cap) quite acceptable for older type caps.

Hi Mike!!

Just a quick note that your AWP-8 is exactly the same color mine is.  I have always like mine, but also like the Trans Oceanic too.

Sincerely

Keith Jansen

Hey Keith,

Yes the green and burgundy colors, from my watching the sales while looking for one, seem to be the most popular.

Today I recapped the chassis with the exception of the band switch bay and the rotor.
I read it was involved, and involved it proved to be.

The chassis was easy: I got the quad twistlock 4x40uF from the AES, and it is a perfect mach size-wise, and as for the value, only one cap needs to be 60uF so I added a 20uF underneath.
Two axials went in the cardboard shells from the old ones, with some brown plastic potting.
I had to replace the Bumblebees with yellow caps: I will not restuff the bees, it is not easy and I had tried it before.....nope.

The real challenge came when I decided to recap the nand switch bay, it has 4 Bumblebees.
I had to take off the chain that rotates the drum and for this I had to take the rest of the radio apart.

I'm chipping away at it every day. Little by little.
Putting it back together.
Haven't decided if I want to replace the selenium rectifier. It looks deceitfully new.
I decided to power it up and see the voltage. If it is where it should be - I will leave it be, if not - I will replace it with a 1N4007 and an extra resistor. The value of the resistor will be determined by the voltage output.

If the radio isn't going to be played a lot, and the voltage looks good, you can probably get by leaving it in.  I usually replace with a 1N4007/resistor just in case i sell or trade the new owner won't get a nasty surprise someday.

You can often leave them in place and tuck the diode out of sight.

Your restoration looks good so far  Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"