Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stromberg Carlson AWP-8

There used to be a commercial, pay me now or pay me later......Maybe taking it out now you can avoid the surprise, I have smelt one of those babies go up, and it is a bad odor and i am guessing could hurt the set and the hard work you have done. Good luck. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

I am not likely to play it a lot, if at all, save for the alignment, from the AC outlet: I am going to fit it with a battery, same as the 7G605 I recently finished.
While playing from the battery, the rectifier is not engaged and is happily hanging there, idling.
But...will see. I'm not even sure it is working.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Looks great Mike! The TO's and clones are great sets to take on road trips.

Yep, I already have two tube TOs done (I also have the 1000 and 7000 TOs) Icon_smile
Not enough.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Does anyone know how to place the band indicator in ths radio?
It also seems damaged.

Here it is:

Needs toto  here:

It's good nothing blew up....

So I powered it up.
Silencio.....muerto.
Tubes no lit. Muy pogano... I mean very sehr schlecht.

Quick check showed full rectified voltage across 200uF 10V cap....so I found out my photos deceived me and I connected a GND from a portion of the sch to the B+. Yikes! Rookie mistake.
Moved the wire.
Dead silence.
Output xfmr ok..... No B+.
Well....bad half of the power switch. The AC part is good, the B+ part is bad.

Opened the switch....it is not really serviceable. The contacts are under the moving sector that is co-axial with the pin holding the lever, and the pin is a rivet.
So.....I put lits of Red Deoxit D in it, literally flooding the can, and worked the moving contact.
Tomorrow will show. Worst case I will short the switch even though it means the B+ will be always connected if coming from battery.

Keep at it, even though they made a solid set, who thought 70 yrs later we would try to fix. Icon_lol

Paul

Tubetalk1

I doubt anyone thought of that 60 year ago.. Icon_smile

So, tonight I reassembled the volume / switch and powered it up.
I immediately got the BC local station and some more when touching antenna input with my finger.
I also got activity on all but two SW bands of 16m and 19m.

The voltages across filaments were a bit off, especially that of the output tube. I brought the resisrors paralleling filaments to proper values using some parallelled resistors and the voltages cane closer to the target. Off a bit, mostly at the output tube where it is 3.1 V instead of 2.8V.....I might check the current, but then on some tubes the voltage is exactly where it should be, so I'm not sure this is what's at fault. The 620 ohm / 15K divider's resistors are very accurate.

I think the deviations are small enough for me to leave it be. Also it might be different with battery power.

Speaking of the selenium, the voltage after it (I measured it at 117V which seems to be the nominal voltage) is 119V with 125V shown at the sch.....to me (am not experienced with selenium rectifiers) it seems OK and the part is not really hot. Again, I will only use it rarely, I fully intend to buy two more batteries for the second TO and this one.

I seem to rip the bandswitch cord inadvertently (got jammed and I didn't notice, and it snapped). Seems to be a regular green coarse thread.

After having realized my frequency on the BC is way off....it took me about a couple of minutes to also realize my pointer moves opposte to the rotation direction. Someone worked on that radio, as I said before. Screws are missing, etc.....

Ok, restringing the pointer.

LOL Mike....I can just picture your face when you realized the dial pointer was going in the wrong direction.... Icon_lol Restring is not my favorite task!

Was in fact easy. A good diagram and an easy routing.
Now seem to work fine.

After the 3rd try, now that I eventually think the pointer is where it's supposed to be, which is at 0 (there is that 0 to 100 scale at the very bottom) when fully meshed, I algned it. It is acceptable. The alignment instructions are not very clear as the trimmable elements are not shown and sometimes unmarked, but I was able to get it close to correct. The frequencies they choose are not necessarily easy to put the pointer to. It will have to do.
I have still not by now found out what to do about the band indicator, so I will probably assemble it without one. If I ever fnd out how to put it back, I will do it then.

Now I guess I will order the battery from Ed Morris, I had good luck with his battery fir 7G605.

Today I put it back together. The RF chassis cover went back easy after 2 minutes of looking at it. So it should have come out but then I was a bit too hot-headed to stop and think Icon_smile
What's missing is 4 bottom bolts. I guess I never had them, need to find some and bolt the chassis to the cabinet.
Surprisingly the original lights work. And the battery is coming from Ed.

I am at home, took a week off as I need to spend 3-1/2 weeks before the end of the year. Sitting at the window, looking at the rain outside. After working on a radio, after having a beer.....nice. Like it.

Hi Mike -

Love working and using those portable short waves as well. Pictures?! That's a very nice set. Are the two gauges working?

I also use Ed's batteries and they work very well.

Happy belated Thanksgiving!
Paul