Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another 7G605 Zenith TO

Russ, yes I took the picture before putting a coat of fabric glue over it. Also the originals were deeper hue but somehow this is the only orange I could get from my printer on regular paper.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Russ,

This is how it looks in citu, covered with fabric glue.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Now that I am done with tubular caps, I am off to re-doing electrolytics.
This radio has different type electrolytics, and I am not sure if they are original or not, but it is very neatly done: the caps that a about 3/4" diameter are being held by clamps that are riveted to the chassis over holes that are quite a bit larger, so possibly purposed for larger caps initially.
The caps have tin cans that were spot-soldered to the chassis after being inserted into the clamps.
The leads are wires and run directly to the solder posts.
The can is potted with some wax that seems soft type, almost like the candle wax type. I intend to try to melt it out.

This said, the 40-40-20uF cap tests as 56-29-29uF and might be actually ok to use, maybe after some re-conditioning. But it is easier to just re-stuff it....plus I have all the caps to do it.
In fact it would be quite easy to cut the leads and leave the caps in place and then solder the new caps underneath as the solder posts are quite convenient for it, but then after having gone through the trouble of restuffing the tubulars it seems almost sacrilegious....

As suspected, the cap proved easy to gut.
And easy to clean.
And then I realized I was all out of fish paper, so now I gotta get some to restuff the can.

Does anyone make a repro front door ? I have never seen it . Mine is also missing.
  Mike your caps look good . 
                           Henry

Henry,

No....don't think anyone does. I've been looking for it off and on, but the best chance is a junk radio, and there is no such thing as junk-priced junk 7G605.
The 6G601 looks similar but is smaller in size.

Nice job on the cap build Mike! Good thinking. I bet those originals were a lot lighter when they were new 60 or so years ago. I like the idea on the bumble bees too. Might be able to use some automotive fiberglass resin with black lacquer or something similar mixed, thinned and dipped.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Thanks Tim.

Good thing about these TOs, the resistors are mostly haven't drifted much - maybe more modern type. So after restuffing the caps the underchassis looks realy authentic.

The fish paper came yesterday. Today I will re-stuff the first cap.
Good think about these caps, they do not need to be cut or untwisted, or......only gutted with heat gun.

I plan to:
1. Line inside with the fish paper, leaving 1/4" at the bottom exposed (so the potting grabs to the metal wall).
2. Place the assembled and wired caps inside, not too deep, and cover them with a fish paper circular piece so only wires protrude, and then pot the space left (1/4").

So here's how it came out:

Prepping the can:

Prepping the caps:

Inserting and potting the caps:

Installing and soldering in:

Then will repeat for the second cap.

What did you use to pot the bottom end of the assembly?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Same stuff I use for tubulars: coffee-colored hot glue.

Ok. Looks good, very authentic looking.

I recently bought some brown hot glue from the auction site, a Chinese seller. It's arrived but I have not yet tried it.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN