Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ron's Transitone TP-5-I

Parts have arrived from Mouser.

Right away I took two of the ten 22 uF, 200V electrolytics and...

...prepared them to be stuffed into an old cardboard Cornell Dubilier electrolytic shell.

So they were now ready to stuff into the old shell. I cut two ends out of cardboard - one had two holes for the two positive leads, and the other had one hole for the common negative lead.

Once restuffed, I remounted the dual cap into the radio...

I have not yet attached the wires. I'll do that the next time I am at the bench.

We should be in the home stretch now...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

This evening I connected the three wires of the restuffed dual electrolytic. I also connected the last two capacitors, and hooked up the speaker.

The results:

It is almost ready to try out. I still need to attach an AC cord and the antenna lead, and test the tubes. All of that should be done tomorrow evening.

How things look from the perspective of a schematic:

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Your schematics look like mine as I go through a radio. Components and connections get highlighted in yellow as you go. Excellent way of keeping track of what has been done and connections verified. I've had nearly 0 wiring errors following this procedure. I usually enlarge the schematic to cover at least 2 (on my Scott 16, it was 4) 8.5"x11" sheets of paper and tape them together.

All done.

And...It's Alive!

When I tuned in the local Spanish station, the speaker blew chunks from its cone! Icon_eek

I have the three small pieces that came off and I will attempt to glue them back with some fabric glue. But first I'll have to buy some more - I can't find my old bottle of fabric glue Icon_crazy

And I'll have to come up with something to patch the hole which the speaker cone already had.

Now, a video of the chassis in action:

[Video: https://youtu.be/DvVbAP9rgs0]

Obviously the pushbuttons still need some more cleaning and lubrication, and the chassis needs a good alignment. But this one is basically finished.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Coffee filters for the holes? Would you do a recone?

I like the dial. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

I won't do a recone. The speaker is so small that having it reconed does not makes sense, economically speaking.

Yes, coffee filter or dryer sheet. The speaker isn't high fidelity anyway so going the amateur route does make sense, economically speaking.

I'm hoping to find some good, thin fabric glue tomorrow, along with some dryer sheets or coffee filters.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

What type of fabric glue like Aleenes tacky I have used a scotch brand product, looks like mucilege. 

PAul

Tubetalk1