Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

39-6 without the veneer inlay ;-(

Jake have you thought about looking at what the auto parts store have?
They may have something close to what you need.

"Jake have you thought about looking at what the auto parts store have?"

Yes bud,....I have been to an AutoZone looking at paints, and oddly enough, one of two highly-specialized auto paint stores I visited nearby my home today didn't even carry ANY primer in a spray can at all.   Icon_e_surprised
The other one had shades of gray, but nothing light-colored like pale yellow. I guess there simply isn't much call for primer colored like that.

I may try another auto parts place again tomorrow.  Thanks.

After searching at numerous auto stores for a pale yellow primer in a spray can, I was referred to a specialty auto paint shop not far from me. They had this (shown below).  It's the closest I found to a pale yellow primer. "Off green-yellow is the new beige! ( I had this exact same issue come up with my "beige" replacement windows, which are the same off-green-yellow color!) The cap shows the paint has a green cast with the camera flash,  but in incandescent light, it does look more yellow than that, (See the stripes where the incandescent light shines thru the grill onto the inside of the cabinet).

Attached Files Image(s)

Might have trouble finding zinc - chromate or cadmium based primers anymore. They might still be available to professionals.

These were light yellow and greenish. The sacrificial metals they contain may restrict their use.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Good to know the reason bud. Thanks. 

I'm pleased with the way this "beige" looks on the inside of the cabinet.... and I've went on and given the outside it's first coat of ivory.

I'm on the grill cloth now.
Ordered a piece from Radio Daze and bought some spray adhesive I thought would be good to use to stick the cloth to the cardboard piece the old cloth was glued to.  But when I did, the spray glue showed darkened areas through the front side.  Maybe I didn't let the glue set up enough, but I'm wondering if there is a special product I should have used.  Or maybe I shouldn't even try to glue that material....maybe it should be stapled to a piece of luan, like the cardboard piece is stapled to the inside of the radio .   Icon_question

I use 3M 77 Spray Adhesive

A very light coating goes on the cardboard frame.  Let it set up for a few minutes and become tacky.  Then apply the cloth to the cardboard frame.  I apply to one side of the frame and gently stretch it to the other and then top and bottom to get it tight.  It takes a little practice but isn't too hard.

I'm sure others have their own technique as well.

Yes , that's what I used. So I guess I didn't wait long enough to let it get tacky.
I'll try it again....I have enough grill cloth for 4 (3 more) tries.

Thanks Bob!   Icon_idea

Attached Files Image(s)

I do not use much spray at all, just a quick pass over the cardboard

"I do not use much spray at all, just a quick pass over the cardboard"

Okay.   I did just the opposite..... lotsa spray, quick application of cloth.  No-can-do !

Thanks Bob!   Icon_thumbup

BTW Bob, . . .
I meant to thank you, additionally, for posting that link for the 3M spray.  Now I know where to get it and give $2 LESS  than I did before. Thanks!  oh_yeah

Okay, . . .what the heck is going wrong with this knob paint job? ! 

The primer went on nice . . .
The 1st coat of brown went on nice . . .  very lightly.
The 2nd coat went on nice. . . . at least it looked nice when I walked away from it to let it dry.

Now look what I have.   Icon_crazy

Attached Files Image(s)

Possibly some silicone on the knob.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

"Possibly some silicone on the knob."

Oddly-enough, I did just buy and use silicone to glue in the grill cloth board, . . . but I didn't think I touched the knobs before spraying them.

I'm also thinking the basement is too cool to paint . . . I'll strip them again and bring them up stairs to dry next time.

Thanks Steve.