Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 570

It lives again!  Stations all across the dial even without the tube shield.  Now I need to replace the dial and work on the speaker.  Notice the awesome recone job that someone did!  Very stiff card stock with no ability to move.  High frequencies are good!

YEEEEAAAAH!!!!! Icon_biggrin

Woo-hoo!

Mine is next.
I think the speeker is deehd.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I robbed the cone from a Celestion speaker that was used in Allen Organ speaker cabinets a few years ago.  I wish the diameter was about 1/2" larger, but it will do.  Sounds MUCH better than the "cone" that someone put in previously.  I have some bass now since the cone can move!  Next I need to clean up the tube shield that I bought off from paybay.  I will try to preserve the the 2 original stickers (patent and tube layout diagram).

As I have found often in the past, tracking is a problem.  I can get the frequencies close enough, but the RF and Detector don't track well causing the sensitivity to vary dramatically from one end of the dial to the other.  I've been able to improve that  dramatically by judicious plate bending.  Lots of trial and error.  I suppose it really doesn't matter since the radio will probably never be used seriously and having it work well on one end of the dial for demonstration purposes would be all that's really necessary .  But hey, getting to work better than it probably ever did is kind of fun.

Rfeenstra I'm currently rewinding a power transformer. What kind of paper did you use as the insulator between each set of windings? Thank you!

1929 Victor R-32, 1933 60L, Phil 40-158, Phil 42-400X, Phil 47-1230 Radio/Phono,, 1950 Phil TV t-1104, Air King 4000, Philco 41-105, Philco 37-675, RCA Victor 9K2, PT-50, Phil 54C, PT-44 Cabinet, Phil 118X Cabinet

Gregg Icon_thumbup

The primary windings seemed to have heavier paper so i used tracing paper.  The HV windings were very thin so I used waxed paper.  The various sections were separated by fish paper, .01" I believe.  I believe that's what you were asking and that appears to be what was used originally. Each layer of wire is "glued" in place with shellac.  Shellac also holds the paper in place, drying it with a heat gun.  There are probably better ways but this seems to work for me.  Since the fish paper is quite stiff and unruly,  I use 5 min. epoxy to to hold it in place.

Thank you sir, I'm giving it a go on a PT from an old reel to Reel.

1929 Victor R-32, 1933 60L, Phil 40-158, Phil 42-400X, Phil 47-1230 Radio/Phono,, 1950 Phil TV t-1104, Air King 4000, Philco 41-105, Philco 37-675, RCA Victor 9K2, PT-50, Phil 54C, PT-44 Cabinet, Phil 118X Cabinet

Gregg Icon_thumbup

Great job on that transformer, Rob! Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_clap Icon_clap

For that matter, great job on the entire chassis!

Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron!  I don't like having to paint a chassis but they do look quite nice when done.  Someday I may try plating a rusted chassis.  On these Philco's, you can't remove the shields so one would have to try brush plating around them.  Some day....

Radio is working great except for the 70 distortion!

Look for a PM from me.

Rob

Agreed, I don't like painting chassis either but sometimes you just have to. Although I would like to try stripping and dunking a badly rusted chassis in Evaporust sometime and see how that turns out. Of course it would have to be plated or painted afterwards.

Unfortunately plate distortion is something one must put up with with the "power detector" circuit. I tried modifying a 70 once with diodes and a 27 in place of the 24, but I was not pleased with the results. Others have reported good results with that mod. Maybe I did something wrong. Icon_crazy

PM received, and replied to, thanks. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, If I were rich and famous and could afford gasoline, I'd bring one of my modded 70's over to you for your stamp of approval. I've done 2 70's and a 370CS. Or maybe next time you are in this area, you can stop in? Icon_smile

Ok Ed. Or please email your circuit to me. I have an unrestored 70 here and I'm willing to try it again.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

If I can find it. I have it on paper but no scanner. I had it on this 'puter years ago.

Lemme look. Icon_confused

If needed, I can always snail mail it to you. Icon_cry

Ed, i'd love to see what you do with the 70 as well.  I've got 2 that I would like to mod.

rfeenstra, send me your email address. I found the schematic on this computer. It's from 2004!