Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

EH Scott Philharmonic AM/FM

As for a chassis with some surface rust on it still rusting, they are not made from paper thin steel. A little surface rust can be cleaned off with Naval Jelly and fine steel wool. Unless you plan on subjecting the chassis to the weather, or use it in a very humid location, although it will redevelop light surface rust, it won't eat through the chassis, or even affect the performance of the radio. If one wishes to ensure against this, there are home plating kits with which one can re-plate areas of steel that are exposed. Certainly this is preferable to entrusting ones valuable, and potentially irreplaceable, parts to someone else, and risking losing them forever.

Well, I still want it to look as perfect as I can. So, I will look to find a shop for the tuner chassis, which is ready to be replated. I'm glad I did not send it to Badger. I waited to see how the amp turned out. Russ, you are not the only one to have used the shop in TN so I may contact them. At this point, I won't send any of the shield cans. I'll quiz them on their ability to handle that kind of thing.

Good luck and please let us know how it comes out.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Will do!

I have found 2 Philharmonic amps on paybay, neither of which are exactly correct. they are for earlier Philharmonics but could be modified. But they are $700 and $900! Way too much. The same guy has a chassis for a Philly, again incorrect, that has the 2 chokes but an incorrect power transformer. I would need to punch one hole for the AC to tuner connector (like a tube socket), drill some holes to mount the twist locks (or find 4 of the earlier style E caps). This would give me the chassis and covers/mounting brackets for the 2 chokes. I would be missing the push pull driver transformer cover (but I have a parts radio that could supply that), and the power transformer covers/mounting brackets. Those would be harder to find. $150 including shipping. This would be doable and may be my best option at this point. Not exactly correct, but close and functional. I'm thinking that finding the exact amp not going to be easy.

While the Phorum Rules generally discourage asking people to post on another forum, we on the mod/admin team also recognize that there are times when it is best to invite someone to additionally post in another forum which may prove more helpful.

With that in mind...Rob, have you asked in the EH Scott forum if anyone has the correct power supply chassis? I haven't signed on there in a while so perhaps you have already. If not...just a thought Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

He did.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I also posted in the classified section of that other forum!

I've been trying to track down people involved with Badger. I got the name of the supposed owner from the city of St. Francis. They said they have had several calls and gave me the phone number. No answer. One of the guys on the EH Scott forum gave me some info that took me in another direction. I talked to the wife, now divorced, of the former owner who had sold the business on a land contract. He's in Florida and I'm trying to get ahold of him to get as much info as I can. She was quite talkative and seems to get still get mail (bills for taxes, water) from the city. She did not have much good to say about her former husband! All very interesting and the sleuthing is kind of fun, though I would rather have my parts back.

Russ, Rob - Icon_thumbup Now, good luck Rob...and I still hope you can get your original parts back.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

yes, I do too. But I'm coming up with options in case I don't.

Some very positive news! A gentleman on the EH Scott forum has used Badger Metal Finishing for many years and had a lot of contacts there. He has been working behind the scenes to encourage them to find my parts. I got an email from the company that they did find my parts and they are complete! They are going to send me a photo (I requested it to make sure everything is there and indeed complete) before I send payment.

It seems they had a fire and the city forced them to vacate, probably due to the nature of the chemicals in the building. They are trying to regroup by finding a new location. It is their intention to begin production again as soon as possible. Hopefully I can get this wrapped up in the next couple of weeks!

As a backup plan, I did purchase a stripped PS chassis for a Philly. It's not quite the correct one but certainly usable as a worst case scenario. I'd have to make a couple of modifications. It includes the two chokes so I'd have the chrome covers for my chokes, but the PT was changed so I would not have the covers for my PT.

That is good news! Icon_thumbup I do hope this results in a positive conclusion for you.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

They did send me a photo.  Shipping will happen as soon as they get my check (they can't take CC any more since the fire.)  Can't wait to get it all back!

The parts are in my possession.  I'm thrilled!  Now comes re-assembly.

Great news ! Congratulations.