Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

EH Scott Philharmonic AM/FM

Finished except for an AC cord and testing the tubes.  All electro and tubular caps re-stuffed.  6 resistors in the biasing for the 6L6's  were changed.  Now to get the tuner chassis re-chromed.

You wasted no time getting the power supply back together, that came out beautiful. Icon_thumbup

I own a Meck "Philharmonic" TV that was made in 1950, right around the time Meck Industries of Plymouth, Indiana had acquired E. H. Scott, And that TV was definitely no walk in the park to get up and running again!  Icon_eek  Icon_think

I finally got the tuner chassis parts back from Advanced Plating in Nashville.  They look great!  I sent them 2 of the very thin coil covers to see hw they would come back.  They look fantastic, but they sure had to add a lot of metal to them.  I hope I can make them fit as the thickness is substantially greater.

Ron, this is your old radio.  I hope you approve!!  Now the real work begins.

Wow, several old threads resurrected.

The chassis looks grand! I can only imagine what one feels when having completed the work and firing up this beast, all shiny.....in the back Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thankfully EH Scott usually put a hinged lid on the console so that the chrome could be seen! Otherwise I'd have to put the radio on a turn table.

rfeenstra Wrote:Ron, this is your old radio. I hope you approve!!

Are you kidding me? It's beautiful! You know, I sort of regret selling it now, but what's done is done. And you are doing a great job with it. Maybe one of these days I can get myself a nice Allwave 23 in a Tasman cabinet.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hmmm.  Ron, I have an Allwave 23 in a Milton cabinet.....

The chassis is literally better then new, and I mean it! In spite of the touted pedigree about Scott radios, especially by Scott themselves, I think most of their chassis were flash plated with chrome, no triple plating with copper, chromium, and nickel.
Regards
Arran

Reassembly has begun.  I started with the RF section, riveting all of the tube sockets and terminal strips back in.  all of the resistors are just out of tolerance so i will replace all of them.  Caps will be re-stuffed.  Some were changed previously and I can't re-stuff them so I'll find others to substitute and re-stuff.  I'll check the micas as best I can.  while it seems I can get a good ground to the chassis under the rivets, I'm a bit concerned that the plating could present a problem in the future so I am running around wire to all ground points and soldering a couple of those to the chassis.  I don't like tacking down ground problems.

rfeenstra Wrote:Hmmm. Ron, I have an Allwave 23 in a Milton cabinet.....

I had not heard of a Milton cabinet previously so I had to look it up. Very Art Moderne...very nice...and from what I read, very rare. Icon_eek

Now regarding this Philharmonic. What are you using for rivets?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The rivets are Keystone purchased from Mouser.  3 lengths cover what is necessary.  Scott Seickel has a video of his riveting table which I have sort of copied.  You can find it on YouTube (link below).  I had dies from an aircraft tool supply co. but they didn't work well.  Scott had a link to another source. I Bought them and they work great.  I had to do a bit of reshaping the diameter to be able to get close to the tube sockets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGcx78hD4

All resistors have been changed and caps re-stuffed in the RF tube socket section.  A lot needs to be installed - all coils and the selector switch.  But first, Ill get all of the tube sockets and terminal strips installed in the IF/AF section.

Looks like a rat's nest to me!  I think I'll break it up into 3 sections and replace components one section at a time.  The AF section is especially crowded.  That'll take me a while.  I know the candohm is defective so I'll need to order some resistors for that. 

Haven't you always wanted to whack a radio with a hammer? Now you will get lots of chances - try not to whack your finger - it hurts more the second time Icon_redface .

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

You must speak from experience!