Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-116: Pick Up or Ship?

It did finally arrive in good shape. It showed up a couple days before Thanksgiving. It was sturdily boxed in cardboard lined all around with what I think was an inch of Styrofoam.

I was a little surprised that the chassis was shipped inside of the cabinet. But the chassis was locked tightly in place with wood blocks into which the studs on the sides of the chassis were inserted. I suspect that's how they were shipped from the factory as I've seen photos with the blocks still in the cabinet, but apparently not engaged with the chassis.

I'm certain the chassis isn't supposed to be held in place like that in use. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's only supposed to be one screw in the center of the back of the chassis holding it in place. I don't think it's even bolted to the cabinet through the 4 corner chassis "cushions" (rubber grommets).

I just started working on the chassis the other day. I'd post some photos as I go but I would only embarrass myself by showing off my glacial pace Icon_biggrin.

I usually clean/fix the parts as I remove them since I hate to have to clean them when I put it back together. And there are a lot of parts in the automatic tuning mechanism. I had forgotten how many. I'll remove, disassemble and clean it up then move on to the stuff I'd rather do.

Can't think of anything witty.
Greg O.
Whitehall, PA

Have fun!!  I did with mine, and am just about ready to start another.  Band 2 oscillator coil was bad on mine as it has been on most of the others who have tackled these radios.  I would definitely suggest removing that coil and rewinding it.  I will on the one I'll be doing soon.  Nathan has a thread on one of these as do I. You have to go back a few pages in Electronic Restoration to find them.