Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

new guy seeking assistance

I was just getting ready to post the photos but see you have been successful!

Yup. Now I have a new problem. I bought it. It has two issues. And I don’t know much about this stuff, so forgive my naivety.

The -what I would call the “tensioner” wheel on the turntable has a tiny flat spot on the edge, so it kinda sounds like a metronome in the background when playing a record. Is there a replacement part for something like that?

The other is that can’t get much volume out of the unit at all right now, no sound at all out of the subwoofer, I obviously checked the wiring, but couldn’t find anything suspect. 

So I’m assuming something in the amplifier? All the tubes are lit up, but does that mean they’re all functional?

Hello, check here for a new idler wheel. I've used them for different wheels over the years. They also sell needles and cartridges.
Gary is a good guy to deal with and will help you out.
https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/

My best guess for low volume and somethings not working well is that the power supplies is dying do to bad filter cap and bypass cap throughout the tuner and amp chassis. If you continue to operate it in this condition it can damage expensive parts and worst case catch fire. Servicing this set is somewhat of a fairly large undertaking as there are probably 20-30 caps to replace some resistors and an alignment to do afterwards. I'm not sure what your skill level is for this sort of thing is but wouldn't catogorize it as an entree level project. No ofence just being honest. You might luck out and may have mostly disk caps rather than the older foil/paper style.

GL.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks for the info. My skill level is not advanced. How much would I pay someone to do something like that? Ballpark?

Don't really know. Depends on who working on it. If there is a radio club, old or ham perhaps there is someone there that is willing to take it on. I would think that this would be more economical that a shop. The flip side is that hobbyist may not be in any hurry to get er done.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

There is a Wisconsin Antique Radio Club where you might find someone relatively close to you to work on the set.