Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

TrueTone Model D-2026 series B Manual

Rounded up a couple 2.4k 1 watt resistors just for a quick test. installed with test leads, plugged radio into wall outlet . Radio came up and worked, each output leg of transformer should be around 250 vac, each tested 228 vac a little low. Ordered a pair of 2.2k 25 watt and a pair of 2k 25watt from mouser. they are chassis mount and larger wattage than needed but hoping one of the two gets me closer to 250 vac.

Received a pair of 1.2K 50 watt and 1K 50 watt chassis mount resistors in the mail yesterday. The 1k resistors placed my center tapped outputs slightly above the 250 vac reference. The 1.2 k pair placed me slightly under the 250 vac reference, 248 vac. Installed 1.2k pair with a bit of thermal grease to help dissipate heat. Now when radio plugged into wall outlet, it displays proper radio operation instead of center tapped secondary overdriving everything and causing radio to be inop. After playing on AM for a half hour temperature of 1.2k resistors approximately  107 F. Even was rewarded with two somewhat weak FM stations. So... looks like I am on solid ground as far as progress. Can pick up over 40 AM stations most are weak, which far surpasses any other radio I've worked on yet. Thinking I'll start by just touching up Osc and antenna tuning on the tuning gang and see if that strengthens the output. 

Need to put out a call for a little help on finding the alignment directions for this Truetone D-2226A chassis. The schematic was kindly supplied to me and has gotten me where I am now. But have been unable to find a detailed alignment procedure. Think I have AM tuning figured out. FM not so much.

Have boosted my knowledge of tube type radios a fair amount with this radio. Also learned the bulb filament on my dim bulb tester can provide false readings when checking operational voltages during troubleshooting. Comes a time after all the caps have been changed to just plug it into a wall outlet and see what happens. Voltmeter probes in hand to quickly take power supply voltages.

I can't find any service info other than the Beitman print you already have.  I do see a Sam's Photofact reference for a D2226, if your chassis is close to this it should have alignment info:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/western_au...d2226.html

The Sam's number is 196-16.  If that's the correct radio there is a Photofact on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMS-PHOTOFACT-...4671199621

Or you can instantly download a hi-res copy from Steve Johnson for $6.99:

https://theschematicman.com/instantdownl...y=33454022

You can also request a copy of the D-2226 schematic from Radio Museum, just click on the schematic page and fill out the request.  That will at least let you know if the D-2226 is similar to your D-2226A.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Thank You Sir. Will do my research when I get the chance. First time I've had a radio that the chassis does not match the cabinet it should be in. Perhaps someone made a switch years ago??

When working on old stuff from Sears, M Wards, Western Auto, well you never know what you will find be it radios, lawn mowers or roto tillers. Have a Wards generator from 1982 motor is Briggs the generator head is Onan rated at 2 1/5 KW. Stay Safe David

Ha... got it right again David. Find myself thinking AH HA I now know exactly whats going on, followed by HUH... well.. maybe not. Perhaps a better comparison would be if you ever got the chance to watch me try to dance. This radio always finds a way to distort my timing and make me look awkward in front of others. Icon_wtf

Take Care

Tim

Looks like the Sams Photofact on Ebay for Model D2226 is the closest match with the data I can see. It uses all 9 of the same tubes and consists of eight pages. Learned a little info just from looking at the displayed front page. Mine draws .46 amps thought that might be a little high. But the data on the displayed page lists over .5 amp so Im good. Purchased this Sams manual and awaiting it's arrival.

So until your purchase arrives some reading material. http://classicradiogallery.com/truetone_history.html    https://gardentractortalk.com/forums/top...ure-codes/       http://alloy-artifacts.org/western-auto-supply.html  The last 2 nothing about radios but a good read.

Just now found this late in my day. Scanned through it for now and look forward to spending some quality time with it tomorrow. Did see a post from a forum where someone had an old Western Auto lawn tractor and was confused as to the maker and I believe how to get parts. Seems with out my knowledge I have been wandering down an old well worn yet obscure path.  Thank You David, with just my short scan I've learned some about this cantankerous old TrueTone, and that I do not stand alone in confusion with a product that has the Western Auto name on it somewhere.

Spent some time today reading about companies that made radios I had never heard of. I never realized what a huge market tube type radios were. Made me wonder what they were like to work for. A technician like me. What did they do, how was the company to work for, what were their wages. Wonder which company made the radio I'm working on. They did a great job. I've spent far more money than it's worth to get it working to the extent that it is. With that said so far all it's needed is power, the right voltage in the right places, no tuning of anything not bad for 67 years old. One of the few things that can come back from the dead like that are old sewing machines, another hobby of mine. 
I know this has nothing to do with the technical side of the radio, but to me the other enjoyable part of the project. Since I can now plug this TrueTone into a wall outlet decided to install it in the cabinet. Set it up in the kitchen and enjoyed listening to Christmas music most of the afternoon. Just like it would have by unknown people in unknown places a long time ago. Wonder how long ago it was when it last played this seasons music??

Some times when working on old sets you will find a business card for a small shop who worked on the set with notes.  Markings on the base of a tube telling when it was installed. In sixty years how many of today's computers will be fixable. Several years ago had the chance to purchase a portable Singer. Lucky to have a shop in Lake City Florida that works on them. Made in 1928 in the UK they did a routine cleanup and service. The portable has a hand crank and a beautiful oak cabinet. So now trying to learn to sew, ok understand why my mother would not let me near her Singer. Stay Safe David

My oldest is a Wilson and Wheeler Model# 8, 135 years old. Found and installed a few missing parts, figured out the timing and couldn't believe it, it sews. All they we missing was a TrueTone radio.

P.S. 

Envious of your Singer

Will be awhile before I see the Sams Photofact. Seller shipped it the next day but tracking # reply shows no scan or any shipping movement. Just a statement on high volume shipping. Shipped on the 14th. Didn't think of all the folks that stayed home for the Holidays and mailed gifts to the Grandkids. Belong to another forum where one of the members is a USPS employee. Stated where he worked they had 23 loaded semi-trailers parked in the lot waiting to be unloaded and sorted. If you remember, this radio had been dropped some time in it's past. Bottom right broken, from front to back. Just broke not shattered. Took advantage of the PhotoFact delay to set the break with super glue. Then sanded with 80 grit, mixed up some resin and hardener and patched with just a single layer of fiberglass on the inside. Came out looking good and feels plenty strong. Front right bottom corner is missing, about a half inch wide vertical gap of three inches. Going to try some left over bondo filler. Have the advantage that about anything will look better than how it looks now. Wish me luck.

Good luck and how about some pictures of your progress Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

The number of packages being shipped is like WOW!!! Ordered some items from Canada shipped on Des. 3 items are still in Canada. Stay Safe an Warm David