Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

TrueTone Model D-2026 series B Manual

Well Eliot, I'm one of the odd people that normally does not take pictures. Doesn't matter if it's a motorcycle, antique tractor, sewing machine or travel. Just seems to distort the natural rhythm of things. Please don't be insulted, I am assigning this to myself as a character flaw. Will work against my nature since I have received some much needed help with this project and task myself with posting pic's. And yes David I will do my best to Stay Safe and Warm. Self Preservation Shall Prevail.

If I preformed the add photos correctly will hope to see photos front chassis face, chassis underside, vertical hole in cabinet, cabinet face, and fiberglass patch bottom right side. Fingers crossed, no test.

Attached Files Image(s)

For the most part a success. Someone will have to chime in and let me know what to do so some photos don't down load rotated 90 deg.
Need to add a thumbs up to Ron Ramirez for his How to attach files to your post, tutorial. Believe I have proven it fool proof.

Good pics, wishing you happy listening.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Good looking radio. David

Thank You. Sams PhotoFact might be here tomorrow. Finally started to get shipping info and it's at my local distribution center. I find the route of shipments interesting. A lot like when I fly with the airlines. Seems the package drove past me and the local distribution center and continued down the road for 3 1/2 more hours. It then sat there for three or four days then came back up the same road past me again to finally arrive at my local distribution center. Guess I'm lucky it didn't get lost in the high volume, and lucky that my own activity isn't tracked.

Take Care

Tim

Finally sat down yesterday with my new Sams PhotoFact and started in on A.M. alignment. At first I could not get much improvement. Had noticed at times radio would have a blast of audio that seemed to be twice the level full volume would normally be.  Blast would be for just a fraction of a second. During alignment this happened more often so I had to check it out. Found problem caused by a faulty Tone control. Bypassed tone control pot with a 1 meg ohm resistor. Then had full audio all the time and was able to make gains while aligning. Ran before and after tests across the A.M. frequency band and found on average a  + 10 Dbm gain after alignment. Highest gain was at 1400 khz  +15 Dbm. Lowest gain was at 600hz at +9 Dbm. Although I have much improved sensitivity and enough volume to overdrive the speaker, at best the audio sounds tinny. Guessing the game will be lowering the resistance of my 1 meg tone control bypass resistor till my ears are happy. Please correct me if I am wrong, remembering that on/off, volume control, tone control, gang of controls are no longer available. So is playing with the tone control bypass resistor my only option?  I searched for awhile and could not find anything.

On the F.M. side found a bad connection on the F.M. 300 ohm external antenna input. Was able to tune in 20 stations so will investigate a true F.M. antenna option instead of just a length of wire that improved things.

The radio has been played for about a 20 hour time span with no problems other than the tone control. Will focus on filling the hole in the cabinet and then hopefully a completed project.

Thanks to all who provided me with correct schematics ,chassis information and Sams PhotoFact clarification. I'd still be stuck not knowing what the heck I'm working on, only thing I knew was I did not have what the back cover on the radio said I had. Had neither the chassis or cabinet that was provided on the radio.

Take Care

Tim

Quote:Guessing the game will be lowering the resistance of my 1 meg tone control bypass resistor till my ears are happy.
Tim, there is also a capacitor coming off the tone control (going to ground) that determines your tone, so you might want to experiment with different values there.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Ah... Thanks Eliot great info. Would an increase in capacitance result in a deepening of the tone? (less tinny)

Tim, yes I'd experiment with some larger values. Remember you're not actually increasing bass but bypassing some of the highs so the lows will seem more pronounced. You're going to be limited by the size (and condition) of your speaker. I'd replace the tone control before futzing around too much with the capacitance since both will effect the tone.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

Is there a source for the 3- ganged controls. Or is the routine to leave the faulty tone pot in place, add wiring and install a new single tone pot remotely. Possibly in the back of the radio. Leaving the front looking original.

Actually, you only need a 2 gang control, the on/off is just a switch added to the back of the last pot. Contact Mark Oppat and be as specific as you can (pictures help) and he'll probably be able to send you a new control, or possibly just replace the bad tone pot if you send him the whole control:

https://www.oldradioparts.net/controls.html

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

Thats the ticket, Thanks again Eliot.

I know Eliot will call it futzing around, but for now simply replaced the 1 meg resistor with a 780 k resistor and I like the sound better. Sorry Eliot. Have noted oldradioparts in my records. Next time I have less than $400.00 in a $25.00 radio I'll do business with them. Looks like a great place to go.

Icon_lol Whatever works Tim, whatever works and makes you happy Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY