Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Philco 20 - next project

Wow!!!!

It's been nearly a year since I finished this radio.  If you look back, you'll see where the original refinish job with standard lacquer cracked.  I stripped again and refinished with instrument lacquer.  So far, no cracks in in the finish!  From now on I'll use instrument lacquer.  Not sure if that is the reason for no problems or if it is because i waited longer between coats.  Either way,  It is the process I'll use in the future.

I may have to follow your lead on that...I have a couple of sets that have been refinished, and the lacquer cracked about a week after I was done. I thought that maybe I had contaminated the surface somehow during stripping or sealing...but maybe I was too hasty applying the subsequent coats.

What is instrument lacquer, and where do you obtain this product?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Brad, I'm thinking that it is important to allow enough drying time between coats. I always get in a hurry and try to speed things up. Now, no more than 2 coats in a day with an hour between the 2 coats. I used regular lacquer on my Atwater Kent and it is fine.

Ron, it is a mohawk product designed for guitars etc. They say that it is a bit more flexible. I know that Frederick Taylor is using it now as well. He has been showing some work on the Facebook page. Beautiful stuff! Also using their EZ Vinyl sealer. I don't like the way the vinyl sealer sands, though. Fills the paper quickly.

Hello Rob,
that 20 looks great I have the Philco 20 deluxe Mike those violins look great!!

Sincerely Rich
P.S. my favorite sounding Philco is my Philco 610b .

I closed a loan once for an older gentleman from Germany, his vocation, made violins, not sure if he is still with us. Business was pretty good up here , Symphony, POPS, Berklee, Conservatory, a nice niche to make your living in.

Yours look nice Mike.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Ok Rob - thanks. I was not aware Mohawk made such a product, good to know.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN