Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

An Introduction and a Philco 90 issue.

Doesn't the wire from terminal 3 go to ground through cap 35 or is my schematic reading inexperience on full display here?

Here is the schematic I am looking at   Early Schematics – Philco Library (philcoradio.com)    (scroll down to 90 mid version) In this schematic there is a cap number 38 but, unless the cap is shorted, it won't change the reading.

M R Radios   C M Tubes

OK that's the schematic I have.

OK I was doing something stupid.  The wire from terminal 3 is fine...it reads infinite resistance to ground.  The wire from BC resistor terminal 4 is the same readings as before...90.4k ohms with the speaker unplugged...3200 ohms with the speaker plugged in.

Pics show these 2 readings, the speaker socket and the general area around the speaker socket.  All tubes are out.  In the last pic, that small black box attachment is for a 1/4" jack input for Bluetooth and similar input.  Pretty sure it's not an issue.  Radio and it worked fine before.

Attached Files Image(s)

Chris, when you recapped the chassis, did you replace the caps in the tone control?

M R Radios   C M Tubes

No I did not...I just sprayed contact cleaner on the 3 tabs and worked the controls

OK, with the speaker plugged in, repeat the resistance check on wire 4. This time, turn the tone control to each position while checking.

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Steve...it is 3200 ohms in all 3 positions on the tone control

The tone control should have four positions. When the control is fully counter clock-wise you still get 32K?

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Yes 3.2k...3200 ohms...not 32k

Yes, I meant 3.2K.  Take resistance measurements on all speaker plug terminals first with the speaker plugged in and again with the speaker unplugged.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

OK starting on speaker socket that is connected to BC terminal 4 and going clockwise.

Speaker plugged in:
1. 3200 ohms
2. Infinity
3. 98k ohms
4. 20 ohms

Speaker unplugged:
1. 90.6k ohms
2. Infinity
3. Infinity
4. 22 ohms

The B+ line (speaker socket terminal 4) is shorted. You will need to trace that line all the way through.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Will do...thanks so much Steve...I'll get back to you. It's socket 4, the one that's reading 20 ohms plugged or unplugged correct?

Yes, the one reads 20 ohms

M R Radios   C M Tubes