Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hello and a 37-675

Suggest you put something over the face of the speaker or sure enough you will end up punching a hole in it (Murphy's law). PL

<I see 9 Bakelite blocks and one peculiar metal can pn:30-4470 or 72 on the drawing. This is essentially across each cathode of <the 6H6. Only our Savior knows it's function, well, at least I don't

Looks like it's used to boost the afc voltage that goes to the 6N7. 6N7 is used to pull the lo onto frequency.
Not your Savior, Just a who belives in him.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

For the tuner chassis gromments Ed (Blacksmith) does reproductions.

I'm back! Icon_wave

Well, I finally started, and the first task was the line filter bakelite block. This is the first block I've done. Yes - it was an adventure - but I accomplished this with out a heat gun. One must be careful with replacements. Redoing one of these would ruin the day! While it's out, I'll replace a couple of .005's next to it, since there's more room.

The single section filter caps will not get re-stuffed, but the 2 dual section filters probably will. There doesn't seem to be enough real-estate.

Once the filters are changed, I'll "fire" it up, and see where I'm at! If all goes well, the dreaded RF deck will be next!

Hope your summer is going well!

Time to mow!

-Greg

I made a bit of progress, today. As mentioned in my last post, both single filter sections, 2 x .003 bypass (6F6) and the line filter bakelite block are in place. Other "things" were done too.

A 4K 2W power resistor drifted way high, so it got replaced. With no exact replacement available, I did find a new 4.5K 10W, and it measured 4.3K. I should have painted it. 8) Honestly, it looks a heck of a lot better than a new 2 watt would there, and I didn't have to wait for the part.

Another block was removed, part 127. It's a dual .15 uF, across the filter choke. This baby got warm, in the past. The wax was bulging from the bottom. The bottom of the chassis was caked with wax too. No big deal, the filter choke isn't damaged, DC resistance almost measured dead nuts, based on drawing.

Icon_confused: I want to use the fusible line cord plug. Only one fuse remains, and it's rated at 3A. The radio consumes 155 watts. I was guessing a 2A slow blow should do. Am I correct, with that guess?

Icon_confused: What is the purpose of that dual .15 uF bakelite block across the filter choke?

Thanks for your thoughts, Gents!

-Greg

Hi Greg

At 115 volts, 155 watts translates to roughly 1.35 amp. So you should be fine with 2A fuses.

The dual 0.15 uF bakelite block (127) is connected so that both 0.15 uF caps are in parallel, resulting in a total capacity of 0.3 uF. This capacitor is intended to tune the filter choke (126) to help eliminate 60 cycle hum. But since you will replace (or have replaced) electrolytics (125) and (128) with 10 uF caps (larger than the original 8 uF), you don't need to reconnect (127) unless you want to.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron!

I was focused on this block being across the choke and didn't consider the path through the filter caps. Icon_redface Philco didn't cut corners, on this power supply!

OK on the fuses.

Hopefully, I'll get to the other filters this week-end and fire it up!

Thanks again!

-Greg

I couldn't resist the temptation, and I fired it up before replacing the two dual section filter caps. It works! 8)

Well - it works - sort of. Icon_rolleyes Band 2 does nothing but squeal, but the others work. The volume is low, and the sensitivity is down, but I haven't done too much work on this barn fresh find!

Time to shut 'er down. I'm pressing my luck!

[Image: http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww341...is_Top.jpg]

-Greg

Brief Update:

I've had my hands full, with other barn fresh gifts, so not much has been accomplished on this. I was able to find an easy way to replace 1/2 of another multi-section cap though, so there are 1.5 cans to go. I'll continue next week-end!

Hope your week-end was great!

-Greg

Sounds like you know the drill. My scheme is to replace all the caps, and all the resistors except for good candohms period.

gvel Wrote:I've had my hands full, with other barn fresh gifts...
So, people are giving you radios? Icon_thumbup

Continued good luck with the 37-675. Should be a very nice set when completely restored.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:So, people are giving you radios? Icon_thumbup

Yes...as a matter of fact...my 37-675 was a "gift" too, accompanied with a Zenith 6D311. This was given to me by my wife's nephew and his wife. My recent gifts were from another of my wife's nephews. He is the brother of the other gift giver!

Here's a list - of what I just received:

Hallicrafters S-120...needs paint, chassis cleaned up well, works and deserves re-cap.
Hallicrafters S-200....chassis cleaned up well, works and deserves re-cap.
Allied A-2515-A (solid state)...chassis cleaned up well, works and will not recap. Band spread does need new dial string. This radio has the cool factor...I really like it. I'm listening to Detroit Tigers baseball right now! 8)

Hammarlund HQ-105...chassis didn't clean up well. It's rusty. Cabinet is bad too as is the face plate. I'll repaint cabinet and clean face plate as best I can. Filter cap will be replaced, eventually. On a good note, it works OK, but not as it should. I don't anticipate any show stoppers, though.

Lastly, a MaCo linear, and I've not been able to identify the model. It has 5 x 6LB6's (1 driving 4). This will clean up fine, but I have not "fired" it up. I'll see what I can do with it - on 10m.

Great Kids!

-Greg

Wish my kids gave me anything but grief.

codefox1 Wrote:Wish my kids gave me anything but grief.

You're not alone, my kids give me grief too!

-Greg

More "progress"...but the radio is down! Icon_sad

Too lazy to think about finishing the 1.5 filter cans, I moved to the blocks. Since I was in the lazy mode, I chose the easiest, but it was a mica, so I moved to the next. This one was more work, it exposed a couple of tubular caps. They were replaced as was the single .1 block, but I broke the lead of a 500k resistor, while straightening it. A 1M resistor reads way high too. Unfortunately, I don't have replacements, so a trip to Radio Shack, tomorrow, is in order. New components are ugly!

In the process, I burnt my finger! Icon_lol

Enjoy the remainder of your week-end!

-Greg