Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hello and a 37-675

Got the resistors, and I'm back in bizz. WOW, it looks like crap, though! The resistor with the short lead, was replaced, but the leads were still short! I needed to splice it in! Oh well, it works, and I'll move on.

On a good note, my father-in-law was over with his "friend", for supper (mom-in-law passed a few years ago). I streamed Pandora, and the "mix" was Benny Goodman. They were thrilled, and so we're we, to see their enjoyment! What a great afternoon/early evening! Out of the blue, together, they began to sing, Sentimental Journey! It was beautiful!

Back to work tomorrow! Icon_twisted Have a good week!

-Greg

Still too lazy to tinker with the remaining 1.5 filter cap sections, I continued on the blocks. All but two are complete. I have not touched the two mica blocks, and they'll stay that way, unless there's trouble down the road.

I prematurely replaced a 1Meg resistor, assuming it was high. After snipping it out, it measured 970k! I couldn't believe my eyes...oh well. Have I mentioned how ugly these new components are? Icon_biggrin

I like these blocks, since they're so durable. A propane torch wouldn't harm them. Not to mention, I'm not dinking around the tube sockets, either. Philco employees did an amazing job too - making these connections. All components and wires were really secure, with at least 1 plus wraps...absolute quality!

The remaining two blocks will be done tomorrow. Decision making time after that, RF deck or remaining filter sections. I'm leaning on the filter caps and hoping to get creative enough to avoid a re stuff! I don't have replacement RF deck grommets either!

By the way, I'm listening to the Indians, on 1100kC, right now! 8)

Go Royals!

-Greg

What I thought was going to be an easy 2 bakelite blocks, turned into a chore! On the other hand, I made a discovery that really helped the sensitivity, of the radio.

First, today's bakelite adventure.

Part 67, a single section .05uF block, has a hookup wire that terminates in an IF can. While disconnecting it from the block, I broke the wire, and it became too short! Icon_twisted In order to replace that wire, the can was removed, but in order to remove the can, a grid cap needed removal too! Icon_twisted Icon_twisted I snipped it close, and it ended up too short for my liking, so it was also replaced. Fearing the worst, opening a coil, I was a nervous wreck, soldering on the coil lugs. I wasn't very happy with the clip leads on the can either! Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Icon_twisted After that was done, an "easy" dual section .25uF block was next.

I only have 630V caps, so both wouldn't fit. No biggy, I just mounted one outside. I put the other inside, and while attaching the block, to the chassis, I thought, did I connect the one inside correctly? Not sure, I removed it. Yes indeed, it was installed on the wrong terminals! Icon_crazy

After all of that, I plugged it in, and it worked! Icon_clap

Now for the good news. All this time, I've had the antenna set up wrong! Icon_redface What a difference with the correct terminals shorted and the lead on the correct lug! I had a random length antenna on lug 4 and terminals 1 and 2 shorted! Icon_redface Icon_redface When all else fails, read the directions! Icon_idea

Next weekend I'll get the remaining filter caps changed.

Enjoy your Sunday evening, and don't work too hard next week!

-Greg

Sounds like you are making good progress, and learning a bit as you go. Nothing wrong with that. I've been in this hobby 37 years, and I am still learning things.

Hang in there, and keep us informed!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yes...I'm making good progress...slowly but surely, and I'll be happy, if this is done in 6 months.

The antenna connection was an absolute brain fart. Who knows how I ever came up with such a scheme. No wonder the volume was low and the sensitivity was down! "Range 2" still squeals, but all others are fine business! What a difference!

-Greg

I decided to take a different path, and disassembled the tuning mechanism. Well sort of. I don't intend on completely disassembling the auto tuning mechanism. I want to remove it in one piece. My mechanical abilities are lacking! Icon_sad

Nonetheless, I can't remove the stationary ring contact, and this is keeping me from removing the entire mechanism in one piece! Icon_evil Is complete dis assembly necessary for it's removal? I hope not!

I do have the procedures, Chuck has shared, and I've read it. It states to tear apart the entire mechanism when changing the contact ring, but it looks like it's doable without?

Edit: I bit the bullet and disassembled. It wasn't that hard to do, and the retaining rings were a snap (no pun intended) to remove. I'm glad I did cuz I got it cleaned and greased. Also was able to access the magnetic tuning. The shutters, or whatever they are called, were stuck. Got 'em moving smooth now.

To my dismay, I ordered a replacement dial, and Mark is out of them until sometime this winter!

-Greg

Well...so much for being "easy"...again!

After I put it back together, the radio was intermittent. It would play fine, then go dead! Icon_twisted I thought to myself, was it put back together correctly? So...I disassembled again. Looked at the service bulletin, 'til I was blue in the face. Decided to try the insulating gasket on the back side of the movable audio shorting switch, since I thought the switch was the problem...still busted! Icon_twisted Tore it apart again and put gasket back where it belongs. Looked at the service bulletin more and decided that the audio muting switch was indeed working. To make things worse, the radio is now completely dead! Icon_wtf

I decided something else was wrong. Getting ready to throw in the towel, I looked at the back of the radio, and I found the problem! The antenna terminal fell out and the chassis side hook-up wire was disconnected! Icon_eek

When I got this radio, this terminal was loose. The splines were bent and the fiber board is cracked. Fixed her up, and I'm back in bizz! Time to play with the auto tuner and see if I can get it to work. I won't hold my breath, since this relies on the magnetic tuning.

If nothing else, I can now disassemble the auto tuning mechanism in my sleep! Icon_biggrin

-Greg

Congratulations on your progress. I'm glad you found that disassembling and rebuilding the automatic tuning mechanism isn't that big a deal, once you overcame your apprehension. ;)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:once you overcame your apprehension. ;)

You hit the nail on the head, Ron! My biggest fear...collateral damage...in particular...the unobtainum part. This is why the RF deck has been move to the bottom of the list! Yes, there is serious apprehension! Icon_rolleyes

As Nike use to say, "Just do it."

Thanks for following along!

-Greg

Mindless work today, and I have a question.

I broke down and cleaned up the chassis, finally. It was really filthy. Then - I reconnected all, but one, of the pilot light ground leads. All others had fallen off. There is a problem, though, I can not get the old bulbs out!

I got one out, only by breaking it. Once out, there was black crud, of some sort, and it was as hard as a rock. Does anyone have an idea what this is? All of them are this way!

-Greg

That "black crud" is dried out rubber.

You'll have to rebuild all of those dial lamp sockets; the procedure is here:

http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/lamps.htm

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hey All! Still here...no progress...but I listen to this radio, almost, daily, while it rests on the bench.

Good news...one of the 6F6G's (Philco) wouldn't light, in the tester, so I deemed it dead. I decided to check the filament for continuity, and it was fine. So....I plugged it in. Yes...it works fine, and I now have a spare!

-Greg