Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-45 restoration: speaker wiring question and more

A quick note:
Some of you guys with a keen eye may notice a couple of wax caps still in place in the under chassis shot.... those have since been replaced.

Nice Job!!!!
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Bee-utiful job!

We love it when it turns out so nice.

Many thanks for the kind words. Feels good to show it off after all the hard work!
Really appreciate all the help and encouragement I got here. Icon_thumbup

Great job..

-Keith

Heat Shrink OK. Can double up with next guage on top for HT windings just to be sure. Open bells and shove it up as far as possible if you get my drift.

UPDATE:
Bad news, had to move the radio cabinet out of the house since I last posted here..... seems like there is a chemical reaction from the wood when I cleaned it or the glue has gone bad. Smells like horse %$%#!! To top it off, I've become very allergic to it with wheezing, headaches and sore throat when I get around it... very sad this project has turned on me.
Pulled the speaker, chassis and escutcheon to part out to anyone who can use them. Will be posting in the "Sale/Trade" section soon.
Thanks to all who helped. I'm sorry, didn't expect it to end up like this.

Oh my, I am really sorry to hear this. What did you clean it with? I've never heard of the glue going "bad" in an old radio, nor have I ever heard of one producing the odor of horse manure.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron - Wiped it down with mineral spirits, which I read was a good idea to clean it, but I think the mistake was wiping the inside of cabinet.... that's when I noticed the smell. I then tried painting the inside to cover it. Didn't work and now it's making me sick as well.
I still have the console tucked away (minus parts mentioned in above post) in my father's shed. Really hard to throw away since it's in such nice shape, but I'm not sure it's healthy to keep around or pass on.
By the way, good luck on the forum relaunch!!

Sorry to hear this...so much work, as we say in my language, went under dog's tail. Sad. Well, there's no experience that is useless. Not the last radio you repair. There will be more.

I would think a good outdoors washdown with soap followed by spraying with Bleach would neutralize any mold. After a good drying out in the fresh air like under some shelter for a week or so, the inside could then be sprayed with shellack or whatever, a couple of coats, and then you could be good to go. Use a mask whilst working on this, can get some at the pharmacy or doctor/dentist buddy.

Just put speaker and chassis up for sale. Hopefully somebody can use 'em.
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...7#pid29567

I previously tried washing the speaker baffle with soap and water, but made it worse. Can't shellac it because I already brushed on some oil based paint.
Thanks for the advice anyway, I appreciate it.