Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco model 42-350t

To follow along on the "hair oil" tube identification technique, this video may help all the Bald guys, ahem, ahem....not that I am one. Where is my polishing cloth?

[Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBE6j_qeN...AAAAAAAGAA]

Paul

Tubetalk1

Thanks Paul! It's getting harder to find enough hair to rub!

Eric

I'll be darned...I never would have thought of trying an LED flashlight, er, "torch"...I'll have to try that soon.

Thanks, Paul! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well old bean you try that out on a few of your valves and then drop by the club for a pinch of scotch!

Paul

Tubetalk1

Nose oil also works if you are pre dessicated.

The Macallan or Laphroaig - two fingers, neat.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Well, it's finally finished! AM works great. SW works, even with the short wire stapled to the back of the cabinet.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Eric

That's a very nice looking radioIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Glad we didn't have to go further on the tube rubs, sure are a lot of methods out there.

Thanks Steve. I had to wait all winter for it to warm up enough to finish the cabinet.

Eric

The nose also works to provide essential oils. Grandpa polished his briar pipe with same, shined did!

Now we just need to keep our eyes open for the proper set of knobs for Eric's 42-350t, the ones on it don't look to bad but they are obviously newer like from a 1950s radio or TV set. Here is the same set with the original knobs:

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1942a.htm#p

Unfortunately they may have been made out of Tenite which may explain why they were replaced, I hate Tenite I! I think that Larry Bordanaro may make replacements if he still does that sort of thing.
Regards
Arran

Hey Eric. Was wondering if you attempted to de-tune the if cans to get fm reception. I had the privilege of babysitting my sisters [now] 42-400 for a solid week recently, and it ran pretty much the whole time. Pulled it away from the wall, and set a standing fan a couple of feet away from it so as not to overheat the transformer, and that baby played a good 12-14+ hours a day. Transformer was just barely tepid. (Large screen tv in the same room got 3 hours of playtime total). Anyway, was able to get the fm working from about 88-101 on the dial. Sounds great, a little fade in and out on a couple of channels, but I think a little tweaking of the antenna should lock it in. I could make it track pretty good from 88-101, but chose to widen the spread, to make it fill 3/4 of the dial. Don't care much about the tracking there, but am excited to get it at all. Nothing much worth listening to past 101 anyhow (in my book). Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought I saw an earlier thread from you about this matter. Just wondering? Thanks for lending your ear. Keep up the excellent work! Icon_thumbup

Thanks, E. No I never tried that. I was told that there was no way to get that to work, so I left it alone. I'm sorry to say that it is gone now. It was just too big for the house! With a Crosley console, a Philco 48-482 (and working on my 2nd one) and numerous table models, my wife kind of helped me decide. Icon_wink

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Well, I can understand that. I'm a console man myself, but definitely nothing wrong with a tabletop. That's so strange. I've seen all over about how fm is not supposed to come in on those prewar models. This one absolutely does. And sounds pretty good. I got to listen to Click and Clack and Prairie Home Companion on PBS a couple of weeks ago! I was thrilled! Guess I'll have to make a little utube video of her in action. Maybe I missed it, but what model Crosley do you have?