Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

MODEL 46 HELP

Trog

I was looking at the 46 service info before work this morning. The RF tube plates are listed at 100 VDC, and the 71A output tube plates are listed at 90 VDC. So as far as your capacitor are concerned, 600-630 VDC caps are more than adequate as they will never see anything higher than around 150 VDC, if that.

I've never restored one - I have a 46 chassis and speaker, just waiting for a cathedral cabinet. I really did not intend to restore my 46 chassis; instead, I plan to just leave it as is and make it a "shelf queen."

I'll see what I can find out about your wirewound resistors, if I don't forget.

(oh, since we are discussing the electronic restoration of a Philco, I moved this topic to Philco Electronic Restoration.)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Having made a 115vdc power supply and received all the caps to the specs. I have one question. #14 tubes are not on any tube tester that I can find. They are like a #24a. The filaments to the #14 is 13.5 vdc. Has anyone have this #14 on there tester? If you do could you tell the tester and the settings. Also the#24A setting on the same tester. I just would like to be sure they are good.

Forgot about the two resistors. I have never seen these before for the wattage is what I'm worried about.

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/flexrest.htm

Model 46 is not shown to have them. Nor does it say there wattage.
Is it best to replace them? Like the old dog bones?

I would set up the tester for a 24A tube but set the heater voltage for 12.6v. I think this is going to be about as close as you are going get. The 14 tube I think was only used by Philco for a few early DC sets. Probably hard to find replacements.
Terry

I probably have a #14 setting on my tester, I can look it up but it probably won't do you much good, it's was a Stark that was retrofitted by Canadian Marconi, I've been told that Starks were a Hickock clone. The #14 is likely listed in one of my early tube manuals, but I'm sure that someone has the specs posted online by now. The #14 is one tube that I have never encountered, DC mains sets are almost non existent in Canada and I don't think they were that common in the U.S either.
Regards
Arran

Arran

Thank you for looking it up the #14 I know the filament voltage is different would like to know if the Muc is different?

The best that in can find, so far, is that it is a five pin tetrode. Pins 1 and 5 are the filament, pin 3 is the screen grid, control grid is the cap, and plate is pin 2. I can't find any electrical characteristics other then the filament voltage, which is 13.5 volts I think. I have a few other places to check but I'm not that hopeful, I will let you know if I find anything. Let's just say that if this tube is that hard to find in a book it's not going to be easy to find as a replacement.
Regards
Arran

I will test the #14 like 24A except filaments at 12.6 thx for all your help