Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-130T

Looks like a dead-ringer for my 40-135, including the grille cloth.
Art

oops didn't get it attached before
Art

Attached Files Image(s)

They are the same, save for the addition of pushbuttons on the 40-135.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

One of the radios that bring back old times. I had this one in my little tiny bench in our one car garage during High School. Not the same radio, long gone the same model. Here in my house for old memories. Enjoy restoring yours. I first bought your model and gifted off to my neighbor. Looking for the one with pushbuttons which was my old one had.

[Image: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129...001-11.jpg]

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

That's a nice one Jerry!!!
Terry

Thanks all for the posts--Iam getting closer to getting my tools together and a space to work in around the house (small house) what is a good source for a cap checker ? I have most everything else in the way of tools from my years of hobbying and every so often kit building way back when

Ok--A slow start, but things are coming together----I have carved out a place to work on radios in the house and have most of my tools at hand, also I think I have found a local supplier for capacitors etc---now this recent retiree is going to get started---it may be slow at first. I will start with the Philco 40-130T, then I have another set to look into (I think it is a 42-321) more to follow hopefully including pix along the journey of my first restoration

Ok here are some photos of the chassis--needs re-cap for sure and as you can see in some of the pix a cracked resistor plus some rubber wire [Image: http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w550...f9086e.jpg][Image: http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w550...548895.jpg][Image: http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w550...21edc0.jpg]

Very nice radio and an open chassis, easy to get to things. I have found that the best cap checker is your shop waste can. If when dropping them in if you hear a noise, they are bad. Good luck and they sound really nice when up and running (not the caps).
Jerry

Yep, those are nice radios. Good sound and good reception. I restored one and I was impressed.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Thanks for the comments (I like the cap checker waste basket deal) just wrote out my shopping list for caps and a couple of resistors--hope to get parts shopping time next week

Well I went to Frys Electronics looking for caps and resistors--big mistake--nothing but a poor selection of lower voltage caps and lousy selection of resistors. Tomorrow I will check out a local parts store called Alphatronix--is radioshack good for any caps or resistor shopping (just a thought)

Wireless, Radio Shack will not do much better than Frys. Perhaps their catalog for mail order but certainly not our local store. They have not heard of caps with higher than a 50V rating. Your better off e-mail ordering/phone ordering your needs to someone like AES, Mouser, Justradios or one of many people on the forum that supply parts. Seems like there is a listing on the Phorum somewhere of places to buy caps/resistors. When I started working on old radios, I bought the mylar cap kit, the e-cap kit and the 1 watt resistor kit from Justradios in Canada. Knowing I was going to do a lot of radios in the future. I replace when I get low with AES in Arizona. They are close and stuff gets here fast. Not the cheapest but then again, caps and resistors are cheap. Just some ideas.
Jerry

OK--I went to Alphatronix---what a joke---a lot of stuff, but nothing that I can use. I guess I will have to go online to order, so be it----questions do arise though, the electrolytics on this Philco are 4 mfd 400v and 12mfd also 400v--how close do I have to be to these values for proper operation ? is over value ok ? coupling caps do not seem to be a problem getting in value range, but electrolytics are I will probably deal with AES--and work on chassis clean up etc until parts arrive--don't get it parts should be locally available

Yes, it is hard to find 400 volt or more caps locally for some reason. From what I understand If your caps are within 10% of the rated value they should be ok. I have found JustRadios pretty much have whatever value you want though. Good Luck on them, Warren.