Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-130T

I have a 40-130T I will start to work on soon as I finish my 40-150 been away for away because of a stroke
now I am back at again.

George-Hope you are doing well. I would like to see some pictures when you have your 40-150 done !

Well in a leap of faith, I went to an electronics supplier locally and got some caps for the project---electrolytics are much smaller than originals, but do have the necessary 400v working range--coupling caps same thing as far as being a lot smaller, and not axial tubulars (film and ceramic) hope they all work out.

Thank You Wireless for your concerns I am doing much better now. A the present I am working on my 40-150 had to do all rubber wire replacement out of tolerance resistors
put new capacitors in the old shells. Now the oscillator is not running got to find that problem on these old radios you never know.

Well today I got some time to explore schematic which I had gotten from nostalgia air--like Puh-Pow has mentioned in his words about philco servicing, the print quality is not always good resolution--I was going to order one thru Chuck, but I found an online source to Beitmans manual of 1940 most popular service diagrams in pdf form--I was able to get a very good print of page 82 which had the 40-130. I then took my digital camera and shot some photos of areas of the schematic that Iam currently dealing with, and printed them on the home computer--now I have some good technical data to start with

here is the Beitman schematic if anyone wants or needs [Image: http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w550...2f6349.jpg]

While that is a good schematic, it is nothing like the information you will receive from Chuck. Not only do you get an enlarged, clear schematic, you also get just about every bit of info that Philco published for your model. It is well worth the money and the wait. If you are planning on doing a proper chassis restoration, it is a must-have.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Yes, don't bother trying to save $7. Get all the good stuff from Chuck. Very well worth it and we are not even related!
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

OK-I get it, you are right--I have enough trouble getting myself started on some things---I was thinkin that the wait was not worth it---but next radio I will use Chuck--George aka the Wireless-Dude

The Beitman's schematic is more then sufficient for servicing this set, it has everything you need, part values, voltages, even a component location diagram. I've got nothing against getting additional service information from Chuck Schwarrk for a big set like a 16/116 but this 40-130 is not a complex radio, without the power transformer it would be the equivalent of an AA6. If someone can't get it going with what Beitman's has on that page then they should really find someone else to do the work. I happen to have the Philco Dealer's service manual for the 1940 model year and this is really no different from what you would find in that manual, save for the fact that Beitman's may have condensed it onto one page.
Regards
Arran

Doesn't look as if the general alignment or pushbutton alignment info is in there?
Any Production Change notes either?

Chuck

Thanks for the comments ! Chuck you are correct about the lacking information on the Beitman schematic--I will see how things go and if I run into trouble I will be in touch

Ok George. Will be glad to oblige.

Chuck

The dealer manual has the alignment info, but they typically shared the same procedure with different models that used the same circuit rather then reprinting them for each individual model. They seem to have the alignment instructions posted here along with some production changes: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013327.pdf
This looks like they got it out of Riders. If that isn't clear enough to use send me a P.M and I will scan it out of my book.
Regards
Arran

Thanks Arran, I already have a copy of that page--I downloaded the nostalgia air pages on this set when I first got started on this project, and I think the copy I have will be ok (of the alignment sheet)