Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mystery Halson radio model 15 Pg 6 electrical issues

Before you do anything trace them to where they go.
Use any AA5 sch, like this one

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...021381.pdf

See which ones go to 25Z5 cathodes and then from there either vial field coil or a choke to other one. Those are the one I mentioned, 20-40uF. The first one will be probably 40uF and the other - 20uF.

then trace the others. One could go to cathode of the audio output tube (the one driving the output transformer which could be on teh speaker or on teh chassis - depends). This one could be 5uF to 10uF with 50V to 100V voltage. And possibly another one filtering some divider there. Also same capacitance to 150V tops (this is a good margin). But those are no longer too critical. Any reasonable capacitance in uF range will work.

You should check your speaker first lest you fix the radio only to find out your speaker no workie-workie, and then you have no means of checking your radio.

2209A:
blk -ground
brown-pin 2 tube 43
orange-pin 3 tube 25z5

2209B:
pin 4 tube 43
pin 3 tube 6c6
ground

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

OK, now go get the tubes' descriptions, draw the diagram and connect the caps. then scan and post.

LOL,

I'll try, am I getting graded on a curve?
So you want me to draw a schematic right?
Guess I know what i'm doing today Icon_shifty

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

that was fun...ish

Here is my child like schematic:

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk

This is great, wow! I am impressed.

Now if you could

1. Make it so it could be viewed a bit larger or blown up (not sure how - let's ask Ron, or scan it high res and put it on ...well....some Flicker or something and give the link), and

2. Clearly mark the capacitors in question (I don'ot know, highlight them and mark them as C1.1/C1.2 for the first one, and C2.1/C2.2 for the second, the notations being for the halves as the caps are dual. Also mark polarity.

3. Double-check this: in your L49B tube (which is the ballast)
http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_l49b.html
both MAINs wires seem to go to its socket.
You did not mark the pins of the tube, and the ballast tube NEVER connects to BOTH Mains wires (it will blow).
However one of the pins on its socket could be a vacant one and used as a solder post which is possible but you need to clearly mark the pin numbers and then doublecheck against the link I have provided to make sure it is a vacant socket pin and NOT one of the tube's own functional pins.

Then we will proceed.

Here are the pictures. I darkened everything and labeled the Ecaps but there are no polarities? Only one has a black lead to ground but they are radial so I don't know how to tell.

Both mains do connect to functional pins on the Ballast. I guess thats why it never went on when I tried it (before I knew not to plug it in). There are only 5 pins on the ballast and I dont know how to number them. 3 then blank then 1 then blank then one then blank.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Here is the mains connection

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Ok so I misnumbered the darn tube pins i think. I started counting from the first small pin after the 2 fat pins so every one is off by 1 so #1 will be #2 and so on for every tube except L49B which is below. As for the ballast I found how to count them and the top right of the 3 that are together is #1

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk

1. Those are all octal tubes with the key (the central pin has the ridge on it that is the key, so you could not rotate the tube any way you dang well please Icon_smile, so the pin #1 in all of them Ballast included is the next one following the key going clockwise when looking down on the tube's pins).

2. I am not sure how you marked capacitors: the suggested notation (maybe I should've been more clear on it) is C (cap) 1 (cap #1) dot 1 (pin 1), hence C1.1 and then the next pin of the same cap would be C1.2. As the cap is dual and the case is probably the negative you could make C1.1 case (usually goes to chassis) and the C1.2 the first wire (positive), then C2.1 again is the case of teh same cap and the C2.2 is the second wire (positive).

You did not show all plates of the capacitors, you drew C1.1/C1.2 and only showed one plate. And then C2.1/C2.2. - you showed both plates but only connected one. Both shown plates are connected to the chassis.

It is a good idea to show a whole cap and connect it according to the real wiring. You could just call the whole cap as say C1 wihout pin numbers as long as you showed all connections.
Also even though it is self-evident, mark Positive and Neg, or at least the positive as +.

Ok I checked and only the the L49B is an octal tube. the rest are 2 fat pins and then thin pins.

As for the numbering I get it a bit but I do that for all caps? or just the Ecaps?

C (cap) 1 (cap #1) dot 1 (pin 1), hence C1.1 (got that)

and then the next pin of the same cap would be C1.2. (dont get it, the next pin as in the next wire?)

As the cap is dual and the case is probably the negative
(so the Ecap itself is the negative if there is no blk wire to the chassis?)

you could make C1.1 case (usually goes to chassis) and the C1.2 the first wire (positive), then C2.1 again is the case of the same cap and the C2.2 is the second wire (positive).
(Ok so it is then C3.1 case C3.2 3rd wire positive? And if the third wire went to pin 5 it would be C1.5?)
I am so lost...

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

We are dealing with electrolytics now.

So the cap is triple? Did the case connect anywhere?

Does the case have a wire coming to it or is it just three wires coming out of the cap? or four?

Does one of them go to Chassis?

Ps. Have a look at the sch I provided. it will give you an idea as to how the parts are shown.

These are both 3 lead Ecaps. 1 wire of each is grounded and the other 2 on each ecap go to terminals.
does the case connect anywhere? no?
this schematic?
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...021381.pdf

i dont see any c1.1 or anything like it on the sch.

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk

Yes this is the one.

Look at p.4.

Look at where the Power plug connects to 25Z6 rectifier and thereafter. The caps are shown there.

The notation is unimportant - use the one you like. In old sch they simply assigned a number to every part. It is usually not the case today where the reference designator (as it is called) has been made more informative: C is for a cap, R for resistor, Q for transistor, V or D for diodes etc.

If there are three leads and one is grounded (goes to the Chassis) this is likely a dual cap. It has two caps inside, but their Minusses (neg) are connected together and are output as one wire (the one going to the Chassis) and then the other two are positives.

So you usually show it as two separate caps. The two negative (marked with a minus or unmarked, or shown as a curved line) will go to the Chassis symbol and then the two positives (always marked with a Plus or shown as a straight line) will go to their respective destinations (like in this sch - one is before the choke (filter inductance - coil, L-19 or the encircled 16) and the other is after it).

Morning, I passed out last night with my computer in hand, lol. I just want to thanks you for all the time you are spending on this with me. I am going to do some reading and studying so I can try to better understand without asking so many questions. I still cant figure out what the diode is even after looking up the definition. I know it has low resistance one way and high the other way but is it a cap? or a resistor? on neither? What are the plates of the capacitor? cant find it online.

I am going to get this schematic memorized today and fix mine, (white out time!) I do remember the ecaps being 2 separate caps in the sch.

What do I do about the 2 mains going to the L49B?

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021