Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New and already smoking(literally)

I actually had thought about a tube tester on my first radio but thought why would I need one for one radio. But now I have this one and a Sanora waiting, I think I will look into one. I also want to build a small AM transmitter to play 40s music through my radios.

Well in that case I could recommend what others here also have - SSTRAN. Very nice, easy to assemble, pre-kitted for you, easy to align and transmits a very good quality music.

I have just finished mine 2 days ago.

I will look into that. Would the AMT 3000 be enough? Also it seems that you all are pretty confident it is the 84 tube so when I get it I will let you know what happens. Also what about a tube tester that's not overly expensive.

Yes the 300 is what seems to be the popular choice, I have it too, works great.

A for testers, there are plenty of discussion threads here on this topic.

I have the AMT3000 and am very pleased with it. Very easy to assemble and setup and provides a very high quality signal.
As for tube testers buy the best that you can afford if you plan on staying in the hobby.

Gregb

Fibber, as I mentioned in an earlier post, when you power up, watch the 84 closely for signs of overheating or over current. Watch the outside part of the tube (the plates) for signs of glowing red. Only the very inner part of the tube should glow like your other tubes. I have gathered you dont have a variac, so I might reccomend putting a 150w or so incandescent bulb in series with the power cord during your inital power up (morzh mentioned this in another thread) to limit the current in the event of short. I have done this a number of times myself. Helps save fuses and transformers.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

...and keeps your insurance low since no claims are filed.

Okay question . I got my 84 tube in . I made a dim bulb tester and when I plug it in with a 150 watt bulb the filament turns red not like its lit up but it is glowing With a 40 watt bulb it does light up , not bright but it is lit up. What does that mean?

That's a good thing, the radio isn't putting excessive load on the line. Does it work/not smoke with the 150 watt? That should be enough to get life out of it.

There is no smoke but here is my new problem ,it only works wit the push buttons. If I push the number one button I get a channel (slightly out of tune but I'm not sure where the station is from). But if I cancel it out I get nothing, I can turn the dial up and down and I just get a soft hum.

Sorry my mistake , I didn't know you had to push the #8 button to tune it. I'm so happy ,IT WORKS and the first thing I tune in is the Jack Benny show. I do still need some help though. Two things , first it seems to pop and crackle a lot and the volume knob is strange. If I turn the volume up it hums a lot until you get half way and then it doesn't him and comes in clear (other than crackle ) but then it is really loud.

I'd clean the volume control with some Deoxit if you have some or WD-40 if you don't. You need to spray it inside the control so aim for the area that the wires are connected. Most of the time there is a small opening there. This may resolve the problem but if it just makes it somewhat better it's time for a new control.
GL
Terry

I haven't got to clean the volume control yet but before I start, I noticed it only does the popping when on AM but not on SW . Does that rule out the volume control for the popping noise? I know I need to clean the volume control anyway due to the other issue but the popping has me stumped.

Did you try cleaning the push button selector switch contacts? Dirty contacts here can create all sort of noises. Clean the bandswitch contacts also.

You can use the same contact cleaner as you use for the volume control

1. Take a vat.
2. Fill with Deoxit.
3. Immerse the chassis in it.
4. Might as well step into it yourself, will ... rejuvenate certain things.
5. Only kidding. About the chassis Icon_mrgreen