Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 71h severed RF coil winding

Ok thanks morzh....ill give it a try.

well it was very tedious but i had to remove the coil from the chassis so i could use my helping hands, the helping hands kept the 32 gauge magnet wire steady enough so that i could get a good solder joint, referring to the pic i had to splice the magnet wire inside about the middle of the coil. after re-installing coil I checked all connections (especially both ends of the primary ) and all is well!Icon_thumbup

Great job and thumbs up to you! Ain't it fun?
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Well my solder connection broke.....instead of fiddling around trying to solder this again, is it hard to rewind this coil? i know someone had mentioned this in a previous thread.

Is the wire brittle? That could be.

It is not too bad rewinding these coils at all.

First, either make many photos, or hand draw a picture showing how the coils are, how they relate to each other, what length each coil has and what gauge wire is used.

Then not the terminals the wires go to AND !!! the direction of each winding.

Then unwind the coils, counting turns. Turns are not partial, they are always whole, so there will be a whole number of turns in each coil.
Write them down.

Then wind the coils with new wire, leaving several wraps around each terminal just in case you break the wire when soldering - you can unwrap a turn or two and solder again.
Then solder.

If one coil goes over another, solder the first coil before winding the second. In case your soldering damages the lead such that you have to rewind, at least it will be just one coil.

It will take you no more than 30 minutes for the biggest coil.