Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Starting on Philco 111.

Volume is working like it should. Goes all the way to zero and back to scream.

Mike for alignment it seems that Chuck's package gave about the same information as the link you posted.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I figured it. The trimmers are under chassis looking down, no openings. Have to be aligned from beneath.

BUT - I just had a bit of an adventure.
While aligning a trimmer I smelled smoke! The smoke was escaping from the big 800 ohm resistor #59, the auto bias for the output.

I spentva good hour. Could not figure. The resistor sutained 180V, hence the smoke.
Eventually traced the short between the rectifier filament and that resistr. Took me to the power xfr, was afraid of interwinding short. Then i started wiggling wires in the xfmr pin panel and saw something separate and fall down in the groove of the chassis. Cannot find it. But th short went away, resistor no smokie-smokie and the radio plays again.
Whew!

Aligned it.
Amazingly, maybe one trimmer really changed the reaing (not a lot).
Put a larger wire (6 feet or close) - plenty of stations both hi and low. The local is of course very strong. Sounds well - I suspect the volume pot and a bad soldered lug of it had to do with yesterday.

I aligned it with shields off.
As the trimmers did not change much, I suspect for this radio it is not critical.

PS. Played it some more - certainly sounds very nice, no comparison to either 70 or 90 or 20. Composite detector is a good thing.

Mike, you made me think about my 111 and go take a look. The alignment is done through the top of the chassis on mine. There must have been some chassis changes? It beats having to stand on your head!
Jerry

Could be. I just could not find anything in any book or any forum mentioning this variation.
Maybe there is some Philco document that refers to this and Ron knows it, otherwise....
And the location are close or the same as in the alignment diagram. I did not even have to guess once I located all the pods.

BTW that resistor is fairly hot, the one that smoked before. I measured the drop and it is exactly what is shown in the chart - 50V which makes it 3W dissipated which is no small power to sneeze at. But not a crazy too much. Still it is unomfortable to the touch, but not at a smoking point.

Sm'Pics.

Capacitor block restuffed.

Tone control:

Old transformer

New transformer stuffed.

S'more pics:

The transformer assembled:

Old Volume pot:

After alignment, shield installed.

Now I have to cut off the excess shaft (this is again a replacement pot so it has universal shaft that can be easily trimmed (aluminum) and has easily opening back cover - you simply pop it for cleaning/lube) and install it back in the cabinet.
I think I need to either rebuild the speaker cord or reuse one from the other speaker - which is soft and in good shape - this one is cracking a lot).

OK, changed the cord. So the speaker now is how I bought it on eBay except the transformer.

It is interesting though, why the same radio sometmes comes with the wires cracking, and sometimes with pliable.
Climate?

looking amazing,
cant even fathom being able to do that. Icon_crazy

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

You just gotta try. Like I gotta try cabinets one day.
Some people, like myself, we remember with our hands, and without this memory we are afraid to try.
But once you start and get that feeling of familiarity, it all comes to you.

Like my gramma used to say, "eyes are scared and hands are doing it".

Mike, I hope you know the stickers for the tube layout and the patents are here. I had a friend photo shop them and Ron helped posted them and clean up a few errors.
Jerry

Jerry thanks,

truth be told, I hadn't thought of that, but now that you have reminded me of it, once I get a color printer (mine is HP970cse, bought in 2001, has no cartridge for 7 years and I am no longer sure it even works), and proper paper (btw what kind do you use for it?) - I will sure print them.

Glowing red.

Mighty Pretty Mike. Brings back fond memories of working on my 111 and 112. As for the labels, I just used printer paper and rubber cement. Probably not accurate but the graphics are correct.
Jerry