Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What have I taken on! Silvertone 45 Restoration FINISHED

I can hear the rocky song playing in the background. Great job so far, can't wait to see the finished product!

I have at least one cabinet that I need to do this with, but it has two sharp curves. It would be nice if we could find some factory photos or films of how the cabinet makers constructed cabinets with sharp bends, they must have had some sort of jigs to form them with, maybe they steamed the wood before bending it?
Regards
Arran

Yes, Steam is a big aid.

I will glue it today I hope but I have been in bed for most of the week with my back. Icon_mad

Here's hoping

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Today I unclamped the cabinet and began repairing little cracks and nail holes. Icon_rolleyes

Cabinet is solid but I want to add a few braces inside the arch.

Once that is dry I will begin sealing and grain filling. I dont think I am going to re-veneer the front to add the stripes. They are both walnut so I may just tape off the stripes and tone them darker.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

I have only one word: PFM!!!
Great going!

Today I grain filled the front and then taped off the cabinet for the extra dark walnut toner. I gave her some thin coats and then added some wet coats.

Tomorrow when the filler is dry I will sand and tone the face perfect brown and paint the grill cut outs black. Last I will lay down the stripes and you know the rest. Clear clear clear and wax wax wax!

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

I knew you could do it. Icon_smile

Thanks Brenda,

I toned the face today with Perfect Brown but I feel like it is too dark.
I will add the racing stripes tomorrow after it cures for a while.

From the picture the guy online sent me I see there is a thick back arch that I will have to add.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

From ashes to glory Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Didnt like the color of the face so I decided to strip and re-do it. I taped off the cabinet and added the stripes. Came out nice and I was happy with the look. I began clearing the cabinet finally and with the first wave of spray............. It was white lacquer. Icon_madIcon_madIcon_mad

Now I have to strip the entire cabinet and start all over. Icon_madIcon_mad

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

http://sfhobbies.com/sfhobbies/radio/Cal.../index.jsp

Kirk

While you are at it, you do see that the curved top curves unevenly? And when glistening when lacquered or lighted when stripped, it becomes quite visible?
The link has a 45 (you have to scroll to it). I am sure the colors there are not correct but the curve is even.
I think there is something with bending that part that you need to address.

Yes, the curve is annoying me too. I think I am going to steam it and see if it will take on the right form. Not today though. I am too frustrated with the lacquer problem. Icon_mad

Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Like I said, take a day off! Get yourself an Old Speckled Hen 4-pack.....relax for a day.
You've been sniffing too much chemical vapors from all them cans.....Icon_lol

I got the front stripped..... Again

Then I added the stripes and cleared the entire cabinet.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Well, Besides the chassis, knobs and the dial plastic, she is done.
I steamed the heck out of the curve and it got a bit better but is still not perfect.

Put back the chassis for pics.

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021