Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kirk's 84

Today I am on the 84 I got from Kirk.

Kirk, buddy!

1. One adj pod is missing the adjustment nut, good thing the fibre washer did not get off.
Do you have it?

2. Repeat after me: line filter ap has to be Y, Repeat after me: line filter ap has to be Y, Repeat after me: line filter ap has to be Y....

Ok.

So, here's the first quirk. On the sch the centertap of the filament winding shoud be at the rect. minus, that is at the centertap of the hi voltage winding.
But it is connected to GND. Right at the Kathode of the 42 tube.

Not only that but a weirdest Conell Dubilier cap is connected from the second AC line to GND at the same place.

I have a feeling someone was trying to fight some nose / hum maybe.

Anyone's aware of the filament to GND mod?

PS. Looked at 80 (which is largely the same). Their filament is indeed connected to GND.
Maybe I leave it be.

The one I used to have had no center tap on the filament winding and was grounded to I think philco made a change sometime and did not document it.

Variations, variations....

Aso the cap #32 (the one acrss the field coil) is absent, and I do no even see a screwhole for it. It is a hum reducing measure, I will probably slap it right across the electrolytic's pins.

The change is documented.

Philco Changes in Models, page 3, model 84: "Center Tap Lead...of filament winding of power transformer is eliminated; one side of filaments and pilot lamp are grounded."

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...hp?tid=215

Look for the file changes.zip in the link above. Download it. Be informed. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron.
Couple of solder joints and the wire look factory but since there are many touchups I could not be sure.

OK, seems like the #10 Osc xfmr is not marked on the sch, I suspect it is the unmarked coils right to the iterms 6&7 and under #11.

Both primary antenna coil and the primary oscillation feedback coil (in series with items 6&7) are open.

Yikes.

Hey Mike
It's not a field coil!!!
Terry

No,. it is definitely not.
Each one took me 20 minutes everything put together, unmount, unwind, re-wind, mount back.

Both are done.

This is the antenna coil.
I think you could see the reason of the failure. Icon_lol

The fella probably used the wire to spin the web.
I am not sure when he died. Maybe 40 years ago.

Well,

Finished everything - resistors included, three of them had to go.
Need that nut for the pod that lt it, will see if I have it.

Ready to power up!

"One adj pod is missing the adjustment nut"

I dont even know what to look for. I didnt do anything to her except recap. What does the nut look like?
I had not gotten to change any resistors in any of the radios yet.
I tested and marked the ones that were way off resistance though.
I wish you had some photos of the rewinding. I have no clue how to test for that or how to repair an open coil. Icon_redface

I may actually have a free day tomorrow to get some cabinet work done now that my sister is all moved in and I don't have to watch my niece.

Dont worry if the radio doesnt work though, i have a guy that can fix it Icon_lol

Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

It is singing and fairly well for an 80 offspring.

Now, there is a hum, and I suspect this is due to 2nd detector tube missing its shield.
I have not aligned it yet - need that nut and I have nothing that readily fits.

The rewind looks like the original wi ding except it is red.

I wanted to take a photo of that coil with the spider and forgot, and by the time I remembered the coil was alredy sodered.

Nohing special though.

Litening to Don McLean' "the day the music died".

http://lenta.ru/articles/2014/05/12/perm/

Kirk

Look at this photo.

Left bottom corner ,you have the pod (there are 3 in line but we need the leftmost), it is looking through the hole in the back of the chassis.

Or this

http://speakeasyradios.com/yahoo_site_ad...27_std.jpg

Right top corner, the doohicky with a brown shaft, to the left of the aluminum standoff (spacer).

This is the regen cap, and it has a fiber nut, a long protruding threaded piece of fiber with a slotted drive. It is (the nut) missing.

Also, again, for the future, I DO need dial to perform alignment.
I simply cannot align it without the dial - I need to know the frequency the tuning gang is being set to.

I can release it to you, it plays, but then you at some will have to deal with it as the senitivity won't be enough to pull non-local stations, and you do not necessarily have a good local one like I do.

If it is this it I guess it never had a nut, don't worry about it. I will get one. And the dial pointer was missing so I don't think you could do alignment. If it does not pick up the Australian opera station I won't be too sad.

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Ok then, one down, one to go.

PS. There is no pointer, there is the dial and the escutcheon with that beak which serves as a pointer.
So you do not have the dial?

An 84 has no escutcheon - the dial mounts to the back of the cabinet, and is visible through either a rectangular (early models) or round (later models) hole in the cabinet front. A fiber pointer was originally used, which mounted to the shaft of the variable condenser, which the tuning knob also fits onto. This pointer is usually lost over the decades either due to negligence, or perhaps many of the original pointers disintegrated?

See photos of the Philco 84 in the Philco Gallery to get a better idea of how the dial looks.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1934.htm#o

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1935c.htm#p

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1936b.htm#c

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN