Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 89/19

Thanks geek. Finally had time to work on this thing some today. Have changed filter caps, some other small caps and a few resistors out of tolerance. The radio played this afternoon dimly on BC band. I got 4 stations from 930 kH on up, one a little stronger than the other. Apparently the oscillator coil is OK. Just for kicks I switched it to SW and got one station -- even in the afternoon--about 3.5 mHz --- LOUDER than the BC band came in. So it's progress but have a ways to go on it. I switched out tubes that were either dead or very weak except for the rectifier. That's next....maybe tonight. At least I didn't kill the radio...yet!!Icon_lol

Art,

You might want to go section by section. (RF, IF, AF, Power, and variations within each. It may take five or six schematics to cover the whole radio, and maybe a couple to cover a single stage. I wonder if Philco sent out Production Change Buletins for all of the changes? Not that you could FIND them today, but...

Chuck S. sent me as much help as he could, including published production changes. I've made my way though the radio now. It is playing well. I'm happy it's going back to its owner next week. Hope I don't repeat the experience very soon. But, experience counts toward easing the problem next time. I hope I work as well as it does when I'm 81 years old.

I added a pic on my original post of this cabinet with the radio now playing. I am wondering if it has a Philco-photo-phinish.

No, it doesn't.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron. I didn't think so based on the pictures on your website, but it was rather hard tell looking at this one because of its finish condition. This one appears to have a separate wood section in the dial/knob area flanked by different wood extending up into the speaker grille area and that is different than the outer wood beyond the router-cut trim.

I'm going to be starting soon on refinishing this cabinet and replacing grillecloth. Which is the correct cloth for this 89/19?
Thanks.

The original cloth was a copper version of the Philco 70/90 cloth, no longer available. The best replacement is the Whiskey Rayon sold by Kenny Richmond.

http://www.richmonddesignsinc.com/antiqu...oduct_page

http://www.richmonddesignsinc.com/antiqu...purchasing
(scroll a little over halfway down to order the Whiskey Rayon pattern)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN