Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42-395 Information

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a Philco 42-395 that I'm planning on restoring completely, but I'm having some trouble in terms of where to start and where I might be able to purchase replacement parts from (tubes, caps, etc). I searched for schematics as well as tutorials online for this model but unfortunately it seems the sites they were hosted on no longer exist.

I have a fairly decent understanding of electronics but have never worked on a vintage radio before.

Thanks in advance

Nostalgia Air has your schematic: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/
note there's two there. one with the schematics and one with the changes in production.
schematic direct link is: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/537/M0013537.htm

for parts, go back on to philcoradio.com and click on resources. radiodaze, Just radios, mouser, Antique electronic supply are good sources. I use the first three the most. Just radios is likely to have the pre modern capacitor values you will need for these, but modern equivelent values are fine.

Welcome to the Phorum. One place that will give you a ton of info is Just Radios .

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Welcome to the Phorum!!! Lots of helpful folks here as you see in the previous posts. If you are new to restoring vacuum tube radios it may be helpful to read a few things first. Here's some beginners info on Phil's Old Radio site . Be sure to check the rest of this website for information particularly the Knowledge Base and Important Restoration Topics in addition to the Resources info mentioned above. The Philco Repair Bench has a lot of info and if you have trouble reading the Nostalgiaair schematic, Chuck will have the schematic and any updated information that is very clear and the price is very reasonable.

One last note on the 1939 to 1942 models...they are often plagued with rubber coated wiring that has crumbled or will do so as soon as you move it. Here's some tips on that problem.

If you know electronics then just start and we will be helping when need arises.

Welcome to the phorum! First thing I would suggest is go to the Philco repair bench and order a schematic from Chuck Schwark. He will hook you up with more information than you may ever need! Very reasonable prices also.
Be very careful working on these old beauties. Lethal voltages exist within, and aren't very forgiving. Not saying this to scare you, but undivided attention is required when servicing older electronics.
Everyone here is more than willing to help you all along the way. As the saying goes, the only stupid question is the one not asked. Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Thanks so much for all of the replies, I'm definitely going to comb through all of the links that were posted once I have some free time and I'll be sure to post any progress I make

Vintage electronics is still electronics.
If you know your transistors you already have an idea how tubes work.
Just keep in mind higher voltages - they are dangerous.