Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

new safety caps from Justradios

Yes pretty much it, it is a some sort of breakown voltage.

BTW Mouser carries Lelon and Xicon, the latter has been aound forever.
But they are mostly GP ones.

Did I say Xicon, I was thinking of Xunda brand caps, Xicon makes cheap parts, and it shows in the gauge of wire leads they use, but I don't think that they are inherently bad or fraudulently rated. Xunda caps are garbage, they are the reason the Toshiba DVD player will not power up anymore. Lelon is a notorious crap capacitor brand, a Taiwan brand yet, I have a computer tower with several swollen Lelon caps on the motherboard, why Mouser pedals their trash I do not know. Su'scon is one I have seen fail in LCD monitors quite frequently. Then you have ones with a name that is sort of like a good name brand, but misspelled like Robycon
If you want to know which electrolytics to stay away from, try www.badcaps.net , whenever I find a mystery brand I run a search on that site. You can also try mystery brands of polyester film caps, I did with the TC brand ones some places sell, it seems there is nothing noteworthy about them, at least in a negative way.
Regards
Arran

Just checked my last order of caps from Mouser from about 2 months ago they were all high ripple. Blind pigs finds a acorn. Thanks again David

Thanks for the link to the ceramic safety caps. I keep screwing up and getting the plastic box type with very short leads Icon_sad

They don't seem to carry much in the way of 500v caps at Mouser but Digikey has a nice selection. 10uF @ 500v, 10000 Hrs @ 105°C Nichicon are $1.83: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en...ND/3664442 Only $1.44 qty 10+.

That being said, JustRadios has great prices on mica caps and some hard to find stuff like 1W and 2W resistors in the megaOhm range and higher voltage (1000V+) caps.

Thanks for the link, Bob... I need to get to digikey more often. they were the only place that carried the caps I needed for the PS in a battery set who didn't want 35 bucks a piece for them.

I've also ordered some of the ceramic caps from mouser.. along with the caps that were backordered (Space restrictions limits my flexibility)