Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 81 Cabinet Restoration

I am finally getting around to working on the cabinet of a Philco Jr. Model 81B, that I electronically restored some time ago.  Someone in the past painted it green and I am in the process of stripping that off.  It is going fairly well and I hope to begin returning it to look more like the original soon.

I have a few questions however:
  1. Can anyone provide some guidance on what color stains would be best to use on this once I have finished stripping?
  2. Is the front grill area supposed to be a different color than the sides?
  3. What type of sealer or varnish should be used once stained?
  4. Is there supposed to be a Philco label on the front?  If so, where is it to be placed and where can I get one?
  5. The cabinet base (looks like plywood) is coming apart.  Is it possible to replace this or would it be easier to just try and glue back together?
I appreciate any help or pointers that can be provided.

Thanks, Bill

Here's a photo of an 81 in Ron's gallery showing the lighter center and darker outer sections.  I believe the 81 is very similar to the 80 in color.  Here's a thread where Ron suggests Mohawk toning lacquers in the colors of Perfect Brown Ultra Classic for the outer section and Medium Walnut for the center.

Toning lacquers and clear lacquer were used for finishes, not stains.  Some folks use spray machines some use rattle cans depending on their skill level.  There are threads in the cabinet section on how folks have restored cabinets.

Here's a clearer picture of an 81 from a recent eBay auction that looks like it has the original finish (looks like wrong grille cloth though) - and I don't see a decal. I would guess that because the escutcheon says 'Philco' there wasn't a need.

Thanks for the information and quick responses.

I've never used the Mohawk stuff.  I looked for it online and noticed that it is in spray cans.
So if I understand the process correctly, you mask off the sections to be sprayed and spray the appropriate toning lacquer on them.  Once dry, you then spray a clear lacquer over the whole thing.

Has anyone ever tried products that can be found in local home centers (such as Home Depot or Lowes)?

I'm not an expert but here's the approach I take.  

1) Strip off the old finish.  I use "citristrip" followed by lacquer thinner and lots of paper towels to get the last of the old stuff off.
2) Repair veener and glue any loose sections on the cabinet.
3) If it needs sanding I will lightly sand with 220 grit then 320 but at this stage it may not need sanding.
4) I usually spray on a coat of sanding sealer at this stage (Deft sells is as to do others).
5) Grain fill if needed.  Walnut is often the veneer used and has deep grains in it that if left unfilled make the cabinet less attractive in my opinion.  Lately I've been grain filling with Timbermate (walnut colored).  I add enough water to make a slurry about the consistency of mustard or a bit thicker and then work that into the grain with a brush.  Using a credit card or other straight edge, scrape off the majority of the slurry and allow it to dry.  Sand off the remainder with 220 then 320 and see how well the grain has filled.  A second filling is sometimes necessary.
6) Mask off the appropriate areas and spray on the toner.  Go lightly until you get a feel for how it will look.  It may take a few coatings to get the tone you are looking for.
7) Spray on gloss lacquer.  I do three coats with about 10 minutes between each coat, then let it dry for several hours, sand lightly with 320.  Repeat 3 more coats and sand and then do 3 more.  (if you are putting a decal on, I add the decal after the first set of gloss coats.)
8 )  If it all looks nice and glossy I will wait several weeks and then rub out the coating with 2F pumice followed by Rottenstone.   If it didn't look too good I may do some additional sanding and even some additional gloss coats followed by the rub out.  After a few more weeks I'll give it a paste wax, I use Johnsons.

I have never found toners in big box stores but we have a woodworking store nearby that has a few Behlen products but have not used them.

Thanks.  That really helped clarify the process.  I don't think anyone locally has the toner, so I will look around and purchase online.  You assistance is appreciated.

Bill

Here's one place other than the Mohawk web site to get supplies.
http://www.touchupsupplies.com/

Does anyone have any information about how to repair or replace the trim on the bottom of the cabinet? Mine has a small piece broken out of the bottom corner. Similar to the one pictured above. I didn't know if there is some source for this type of trim or whether I would have to fabricate something.

Two cabinet part makers are listed here: http://www.philcoradio.com/resourceb.htm#c

I know Steve makes trim though not sure whether for 81 or not.

Bill, message sent.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Not for nothing but what is wrong with that cabinet? I dont see any real issues.

It is very dirty but no veneer issues, No gouges, no real finish loss.
Have you tried the GoJo method of cleaning?
It is amazing..
See below.
Kirk

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I don't think the posted photo's the one Bill is asking about.

I am trying to decide whether to replace or repair a couple of items on the 81 Jr, I have been working on and would appreciate your opinions.  These are the cabinet bottom plywood and the trim around the bottom.  Below are some photos of how these currently look after stripping.

The plywood is missing part of one layer on the bottom, but could be repaired.  Since it is on the bottom, you really won't see it.

The trim is really only bad in the front bottom edges.  Mostly on the left.  I didn't know if there is some way I could build this area up with wood or filler to repair.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks, Bill

I'd just fix it. It's not too much work or time to do it.

Terry

Any suggestions on how best to do that?